Death's head and Giant Death's head cohabitation?

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Allright - totally uneducated in the world of roaches - just looking to set up a feeder colony.

I already have about 20 death's head roaches that I've started a colony out of, and have made arrangements to get another 12 GIANT death's head (I believe it's a different scientific name - but I don't have it handy - non-glass climbers either way). Either way, I'm quite sure they are of the same genus, just diff sp.

Does anyone see any problems with dumping the GIANTs in with the regular roaches? Predation? These are just for my own feeder's sakes, and won't be sold or anything....

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, I'm probably a moron. Perhaps I'll actually see if I can dig up the scientifics to add a little more detail to my question.

Either way, are diff sp. w/in the same genus of roach known to prey on eachother?

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Okay - I think I have it figured out. I have a colony of Blaberus craniifer, and I'm obtaining Blaberus giganteus. Same question as above?

ROACHMAN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the only roach that cannot be kept with others are orange heads they eat other roaches :} :} :} :} its not a good idea to keep roaches together because if something goes down you will lose 2 or more species instead of one specie :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ROACHMAN said:
the only roach that cannot be kept with others are orange heads they eat other roaches :} :} :} :} its not a good idea to keep roaches together because if something goes down you will lose 2 or more species instead of one specie :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks Roachman! I'm not really concerned about keeping them for their welfare etc.....like I said, just feeders to me. What goes down that kills roaches? I thought they were pretty much invincible - at least to all of the problems that could potentially plague my arachnids.....?

ROACHMAN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you never know what can happen but it does sometimes happen "what will happen can happen" {D {D {D {D {D

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ROACHMAN said:
you never know what can happen but it does sometimes happen "what will happen can happen" {D {D {D {D {D
Ummmm....like what? I would assume with the large variety of roaches you keep, breed, and sell - you've run into something. Any examples of things wiping out colonies???

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
B. giganteus is an interesting roach, but makes a lousy feeder IMO. They just don't reproduce quickly enough. Other species of Blaberus are much better.

Wade

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hehe, I'm digging up another roach thread, cause I'm a bit slow. Whats the conclusion of this thread, is it or is not a good idea to keep 2 species together??
I was thinking of B.Giganteus and B.discoidales
The first for size and beauty and the latest for beeing a better feeder roach.

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
From what I gathered from roachman - shouldn't be a big deal because the orange-heads are the only ones that prey on other roaches.

They live in the same conditions - and if they're not "show" roaches - why not?

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Umm - not yet. I havent' got the B. giganteus yet - but once I do, I'm planning on throwing them together. I actually only opened this thread yesterday :)

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What, you thought you'd be the only moron to post in this thread??

James M.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Duston, if you got your roaches from Botar thay are not Death,s Heads. Thay are B. discoidalis."false death's head." I was confused at first about this, but there discoids, ;) bro.

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well then, I'm a twofold moron ;) Thanks for the info James - I'm still gonna put 'em together. I'm suprised Charlie hasn't read this thread and given me crap.

James M.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've noticed that he likes to give you a bit of crap. It confuses you on the name thow becouse he calls them "False death's head". The true Death's head is bigger and the black spot on the back looks more like a skull or vampire with two red spots that look like evle eyes. Thay are awsome looking. I got my diskoids from him just over a month ago and I already have a few little nymphs. I just bought a nother two dozen to add to it this past weekend. Well good luck with your roaches. Let me know how you like those giants.

James M.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dude, where did you get that avitare? It is helarios. I like just sitting hear watching his head bouns around like a bobble head doll.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dustin,

When have I given you a hard time? Okay, name twice... three times... nevermind.

James is correct. I have the B. discoidales and B. gigantea... not sure on the spelling.

Botar

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some people refer to the entire genus Blaberus collectively as "deaths heads", but the true cockroach connoisseur reserves this name for B. craniifer exclusively.

I'd also like to add (why I didn't mention this before, I don't know) I HAVE actually kept these two species together before. I had them in seperate bins, but a few discoidales ended up in my giganteus bins and were reproducing there. Rather than trying to split them out, I decided to just combine them. They seemed to do fine at first, but over time I noticed fewer and fewer giganteus in the bin. Possibly they were just outcompeted by the more numerous discos, who knows. I have since started to seperate them again by pulling out the giganteus when I see them and moving them to a different bin. Not to difficult since the adult and large nymphs stick out like a sore thumb!

Wade

Last edited: