Leopard gecko rescue!

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi people!

A good friend of mine has got a friend who's son has got a leopard gecko (did you understand all that!!) and the mother says he is neglecting it. Knowing that i keep snakes and scorpions my friend suggested to her that she gives it to me. Unfortunatley, she didn't tell me at the time, so in about 3 days i am going to be the owner of a new pet.
I have done a lot of rushed research and I must admit that the things look real cute but are they really as easy to look after as all the info has led me to believe? Is it right that they do not require UV light? I was under the impression that all lizards and reptiles, excluding snakes need UV to survive.
One vital piece of information that seems to be lacking on all the sites |I have visited is how much to feed it. All the sites are quick to mention that you feed them crickets (of wich, i have always got hundreds!) and that these must be gut loaded with nutricious (sp?) foods but they don't say how much to feed the gecko.

What substrates do people use? I don't really want to use paper, I would prefer something more natural but I am worried sick about killing the creature from impactions caused by using sand. Is thare another alternative? Cost is not a problem and i live close to a reptile shop so can get my hands on all the usual products. They do sell all that coloured calci sand stuff wich is supposed to be digestable?

many thanks in advance!

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Richard,

I wouldnt bother using UV light, there are a couple of keepers that recommend it, but there is no doubt that there are millions of leopard geckos around the world that are kept without UV, and many of these have lived 20+ years! As they are nocturnal, i dont believe it is necessary. Just make sure you dust the crickets with nutrient and calcium powder, i use nutrobal.
As for substrate, as you have realised, there is a massive debate as to what is good for them and doesnt cause impaction. I always used childrens playsand and found it to be fine. I think if you supply enough calcium on the food items, they wont eat the substrate and the chances of impaction are greatly reduced.
The best website and caresheet i have found is here: http://thegeckospot.com/index.html
it will answer all your questions and more.

Cheers,

Dan.

Last edited:

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Keep them on sand, not only is it NOT a risk, but you also don't lose crickets (when I had my first leos, I used paper towels as all of the care sheets advised, and crickets and mealworm hide under there, and some die and go manky...not nice - i figured seeing as in the wild they're on sand, why not in captivity).