Help! Euathlus sp red appears sick

charm271

Arachnosquire
The abdomen of my Euathlus sp red appears very swollen as though it is going into molt however it has been sitting in a position that looks like a death curl. It does not seem to have eaten in months and I have not seen it take water. The top of the abdomen is very squishy and is almost translucent the bottom is opaque. There is a droop to her abdomen I have not seen her raise it. I am worried for nothing or is there something I should be doing?

Attachments

Low

Arachnoknight
It appears to have quite a "cyst"...
That usually doesnt bode well in the end...
Or possibly impaction...either way it doesnt look good.

Type "cyst" into the search engine.
Then type "impaction".

Sorry for your situation.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
That doesn't look good, you better hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

It might be impaction, but you can't know for sure.

charm271

Arachnosquire
:cry: The worst has happened. I decided to try to remove some of the liquid (about 1ml with a 27 gauge needle) in the abdomen and then seal it with glue. The site did not leak. The liquid was near clear with a slight grey tint, it was not thick, and had no smell. Gave it water several times. Unfornuately, I think all I did was speed its death. I think I may have pulled too much liquid maybe should have pulled less. Few last pictures include a picture of it a month ago.

Attachments

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wait a minute....Did you just use a needle, to try and extract liquid from the inside of the tarantulas abdomen???

charm271

Arachnosquire
Yes, I took a fine needle just under her skin and tried to drain the abdomen. What I believe I did wrong was drain too much fluid causing too great a drop in blood pressure. If I think the Tarantula is going to die, I would rather do SOMETHING than NOTHING. There are some cases of success in draining cysts.

http://arachnophiliac.info/burrow/news/sick_tarantula.htm
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?186773-My-T-made-it-through-a-cyst!!&highlight=cyst

Given similar situation I would try AGAIN to drain the cyst but would not take off as much fluid as fast.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unfortunately, spider medicine is still in its infancy. I, too would have tried to draw off some of the fluid. That appears to be just such a huge cyst that it didn't bode well from the start.