My first custom foam background :-)

tpduckwa

Arachnopeon
Hey guys. I recently decided to have a go at making a custom foam background for a terrestrial tarantula enclosure. I've had a cracked ten gallon terrarium laying around for ages so it seemed like a good candidate for my first attempt. I also had a slightly damaged rock cave type reptile hide I picked up for a couple bucks from the pet store where I work. I used some silicone to fix the "cave" in place a couple inches above the bottom of the terrarium to allow for several inches of substrate underneath. Then I covered the back and sides of the terrarium with great stuff spray foam. I tried to create some nice texture and depth, but really had no idea what it was going to turn out like in the end. This is what i ended up with (please excuse the cellphone quality pics) :

0915120809a.jpg

After the foam had cured completely I used some grout to smooth out and fill in some gaps in the foam, as well as to add a nice rocky texture. I used brown grout so I would have a nice base coat of color as well. The grout was more difficult to work with than anticipated. I used my hands and a toothbrush to apply several coats of grout to the foam.

0919121833.jpg

After the grout was dry, I used acrylic paints to add a little depth, dimension and color. I added three shades of brown for shadows, midtones, and highlights. I finished it off with touches of two shades of green to try to simulate a mossy look. I am by no means artistically gifted, but I am quite pleased with the way it turned out :)

bd2.jpg

bd1.jpg

I'll post some more pics when I get it all finished and cleaned up! I think I will put my L.p. in it :)

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
That looks really sharp, especially with the addition of that moss. What species are you going to house?

Fossa

Arachnopeon
Looks really good!! what sort of expanding foam did you use and roughly how long did you cure it? Having looked round my spare room I've probably got about four tanks I could do this with sat empty...my main fear is of course killing the Ts somehow with noxioius gas ... maybe being a tad paranoid though!

tpduckwa

Arachnopeon
Fossa, i used great stuff spray foam. i let it cure for 3 days or so before i started to cover it with grout.

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That looks really awesome! Good job! I am sure that your LP is going to love it :)

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Thanks for sharing. I think it looks pretty good.

Did you neutralize the grout and will the sub be moist?

akpropst

Arachnopeon
Incredibly simple yet amazingly awesome! Well done. I keep meaning to finish my started "projects". I got a few days off I may have to do just that. Thanks for the motivation :)

uncle charlie

Arachnopeon
Wow!!! Need to say I am stealing a lot of ideas from you. Do you know whether the foam and grout will work for pokies (and other arboreals)?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That looks great!! It has given me a few ideas now.
I love how for the little tunnel area you put it up about an inch so the ground could be higher there!! smart idea

Fossa

Arachnopeon
Fossa, i used great stuff spray foam. i let it cure for 3 days or so before i started to cover it with grout.
Cheers, I realize now that you already mentioned in the post ... I just didnt realize great stuff was a brand name! haha

Just completed building a tunnel like log for my T.ockerti ....currently waiting on the sealant curing then I can get to work on the decorating. My other half says I should put as much effort into re plastering our kitchen as I do making the T's cage decorations.......whoops!

tpduckwa

Arachnopeon
thanks for the replies guys n gals! I'm already gathering ideas for my next build, most likely an arboreal enclosure :) the grout most certainly would work for any species of tarantula in my opinion.

JungleCage

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WOW! nice job. I love the cave addition. what did you put over the Great Stuff foam? is it just peat moss? also what did you use to attach the peat moss to the foam? (attaching the peat moss to the foam can be a real pain using silicone)

tpduckwa

Arachnopeon
the foam was covered in several layers of grout and painted before I added the moss. I used black silicone to attach the exo-terra "forest moss" to the background. It stuck quite easily to the rough texture of the grout.