Lerius quinquestriatus mid molt

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for sharing, these are not always the most common pictures! You can see the sensory hairs on the telotarsus and basitarsus (last two segments on the legs) very easily.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very welcome. I also have molting pics of my big male H. paucidens. I watched him from start to finish. Luckily you said (last two segments of the legs) lol, because i had no clue what you were saying. I am mainly a tarantula guy. Can you sex him from this pic? Thanks.
Thanks for sharing, these are not always the most common pictures! You can see the sensory hairs on the telotarsus and basitarsus (last two segments on the legs) very easily.

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can you sex "him" from this pic? Thanks.
Zooming your pic up and counting the pectines, he looks like a she to me...But you can check yourself. Save the moult, find a loupe and count the pectine teeth yourself. Males have from 31-36, females 26-29.

VictorHernandez

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
usually males have longer and bigger pectines..and females have smaller chelae. I think this ones a male because of the pectines.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
usually males have longer and bigger pectines..and females have smaller chelae. I think this ones a male because of the pectines.
That method doesn't really work with all species of scorpion. It is far more accurate to do a pectine tooth count for Lerius.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well i tried zooming on the pic, and got a rough count of 28. Not positive though. I do have a small scope, but its way too powerful. I still have the molt, and will be getting a new scope soon, so hopefully can check it out then. Thanks.
Zooming your pic up and counting the pectines, he looks like a she to me...But you can check yourself. Save the moult, find a loupe and count the pectine teeth yourself. Males have from 31-36, females 26-29.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Is using the shape of the genetical operculum a good way for all scorpions, jw?

VictorHernandez

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That method doesn't really work with all species of scorpion. It is far more accurate to do a pectine tooth count for Lerius.
I found some male and female difference pictures for Leirus quinquestriatus and the male had similar pectines to this one. The female had noticeablely smaller pectines.