Average Price On Red Knees?

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought a 1.75" Red Knee at a new petstore for $20 . I thought these guys were expensive? I had one .. but couldnt pass on the price. They also have so real nice Cobalts about 2.25" for $25. Im goinna have to keep my eye on this place.

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah those are real good prices!!! I would be taking those red knees too,
are those cobalts CB? They say that WC cobalts don't live as well as the capive bred ones.

Sam,

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the size of it makes a big difference in its price.. if your canadian could you PM me and tell me where you got it? thanks.. i'm interested in cobalt blue, i'm dying to see one in person.. anyways, one guy was selling redknee slings at around half an inch or less for 30 bucks a while back so you got an amazing deal if it actually turns out being what you paid for..

MichaelH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just seen a B.smithi in a pet store here in Indiana a couple days ago. It was about
3 1/2" and the price on it was $125.00. Thats the goin pet shop for smithis around here. $25.00 for a 1 3/4" is a damn good price in my book, considering you'll pay $20-$25 for one thats 1/4"-1/2" from a dealer.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The most inexpensive I have seen in a store is $149 Cdn, but I picked up mine (2") from a breeder for $80. Do purchase it, and after the transaction is complete ask why the low price... is this a Petco?

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They range from $50-$80 around these parts depending on which petstore you go to, they are usually about 2"

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This wasnt a Petco. This is the Red Knee and the Cobalts Im not sure if they were captive bread or not. I can call and ask them. Im supposed to go back there Tuesday ( a girl that works there is giving me her brothers emp. scorpion . For whatever reason he doesnt want it after 3 weeks and being the nice guy I am .. I decided to give it a good home ) I was surprised how good this T looked for the price. It looks almost as good as the one Ive raised from a speck .

Attachments

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
i too found screming deals at stores

Petco in my area sold me 3 3" b. smithi's for 90.00 even and they were all female!!!! They have specials all the time as it seems i am the only one who buys thier T's regularly. Petco has had the best prices on the few t's they do get ive ever seen, but i know the guy who puts orders in so that helps a lil.... ;) So if you live near a petco keep your eye out...the big ones get crazy deals on color variant leapord geckos too.

InsaneCaine

Arachnopeon
That's a beautiful T. Where did you get it from? All of the B. smithi T's that I've seen in the stores are like $120.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good Deal the cheapest I have seen online is $35 for a 2" and we paid $50 for our 2" (didn't know about the $35 one till a yr later lol)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Look for smithi prices to gradually come down. Newly emerged slings are fairly cheap, but these spiders grow at a pretty slow rate relative to most other tarantulas, so when larger sizes are offered they come at a premium price. It usually takes at least a year or more to get one to the 2" range. However, as more and more hobbyist succeed at breeding them, more and more individuals will be out there. The prices will start to drop when hobbyists start selling/trading their extras to make room for other stuff.

$20 is a good price for that size. If I'd put that much time into raising that spider, I wouldn't let it go for that.

Wade

lhoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good prices on smithi's

I can buy several B. smithi's in the Austin area at PetCo's in the 2 to 2.5" range for $29.99 all day long. They started out about 1" and have been in the stores for some time.

Lee Hoy
Georgetown, TX

oogieboogie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was at the petstore today....

One of the pritiest looking Red Knees i have seen. It was a female and about 5.5".

Awesome colors and very healthy looking. Her but was completely bald though. Not sure if that is any indication to anything.

She was priced at $90 bucks.

Im debating about going back and picking her up! What do you all think?

Last edited:

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd say go for it! Does she look pre-molt?

oogieboogie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im not really sure how to tell if thye are pre molt. Any tips?

Im really debating about it. I really dont want to spend $90 on a spider. She is pretty and all but not really my thing. I think the only reason I would buy here is to breed her or sell her. Which is what im wrestling with.

If anyone is interested in her and lives in the chicagoland area LMK.