Phormictopus antillensis ? im confused.

~Androctonus~

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hello friends. i have a tarantula that labled as Phormictopus antillensis. just seems to have the same body structure that actually fits the Phormictopus genus, but i couldnt find any information about the species.
did it revised, moved, or changed its scientific classification in some way and the name ive got is not updated, or just simply wrong ? i cant get any helpful info, and also didnt found it under the 15 species of phormictopus genus (although 3 of them are likely misplaced from cf Acanthoscurria)..
it just looks like the cancerides, but reddish-colored.

maybe its the "Acanthoscurria antillensis", and thats one of the species that just moved from cf Phormictopus ?
they look pretty similar...

and btw, what its common name ?

thanks you !

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A nice picture of your T would help people here ;)

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Deleting. No more quick searches from work when I cannot take the time to look deeper!

Last edited:

netr

Arachnoknight
Yep, pictures please. Not that I have the expertise to help you, but I'd still like to see. And those who can help will want to as well.

and btw, what its common name ?
According to Stan Schultz's page here Phormictopus antillensis is known as the 'Antilles' tarantula, Acanthoscurria antillensis the 'Antilles pink patch' or simply 'pink patch' tarantula.

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The name Phormictopus antillensis has never existed as a valid combination, despite what TKG02 or any internet bunk might say.

There is Acanthoscurria antillensis Pocock 1903, which does refer to a valid Acanthoscurria species.
Never has been moved or worked on since 1903, but martinique-forms are common in the hobby, and match this valid species well enough.
e.g. http://www.reptarium.cz/en/profiles/3477/photogallery/25541

There are plenty of Phormictopus spp, but none currently nor ever in the past called antillensis.

As well as a list of valid and past species found on the authoritative world spider catalog (you can google that yourself..), You can also find RELIABLE information on the genus Phormictopus in rhis next link, by J.P.Rudloff who published several studies on the genus
http://www.entomo-praeparation.de/R...phae/Phormictopus/checklist-phormictopus.html
There is no mention of P.antillensis because it never has been a named species of Phormictopus.

Phormictopus antillensis appears to be a 'hobby invented name', and is complete bunk, ie.
http://www.spidy.goliathus.com/english/phormictopus-antillensis-id281.html
Which looks indeed looks like a Phormictopus species.

As others requested, Androctonus~ please post a picture of yours.

Last edited:

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
And that's what happens when I look only at the World Spider Catalog mini preview and not going in for a full look.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is it just me, or...

...nah, I'm gonna look like an idiot if I say it.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I'm going to surmise that someone got creative with binomials after seeing the title of this '08 Rudloff paper/article(bold is mine):

Rudloff, J.-P. 2008.
Zur Kenntnis der Gattung Phormictopus Pocock, 1901 - einem Faunenelement der Grossen Antillen (Mygalomorphae: Theraphosidae: Theraphosinae).
Arthropoda 15(4): 2-51.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The name Phormictopus antillensis has never existed as a valid combination, despite what TKG02 or any internet bunk might say. ...
I stand corrected, and will include a note in the Addendum and Erratum Sheet for TKG2. Sorry for the error. And, that was written so many years ago that I've completely forgotten the source for my mis-information or I would try to blame it all on someone else. :8o

Another question, "Why did it take so long for someone to point this out? Aren't we paying attention here?" (I say very sheepishly.)

:eek:

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all, sorry if i came across badly to anyone.

~Androctonus~ , thanks for the pictures. Indeed it does look to be a Phormictopus species, but i wouldnt like to say which without a specimen under a microscope, or the very least a skin under a microscope.

Marijan2, my point being antillensis does not exist at all in the genus Phormictopus. What makes you think the image is actually P.atrichromatus? I checked out the owner 'coolsox' and while he/she appears to have several petspiders, there are several naming mistakes, so i wouldnt consider that too reliable nor authoratative. However, i do agree that P.atrichromatus is a good possibility, but i suggest more reliabley seen by comparing some pictures by JP Rudloff, who worked on the genus.
http://www.entomo-praeparation.de/Rubriken/Projekte/Mygalomorphae/Phormictopus/atrichomatus.html

freedumbdclxvi, i cant remember what you said, but i mustn't have thought it was too wrong, otherwise i would likely have commented!

Pikaia (stan), let me be clearer, TKG is in a league of high quality information far far above much of the bunk on the internet. A few issues and errors are to be expected in a work that size. You are to be commended for taking on board comments and changes, and even more commended for openly having an Addendum and Erratum which all can see. We are also talking about an earlier edition than current also.

zonbonzovi , could be right on that. I'm of the opinion such creative names should be stamped out if they are in such proper scientific format, because the mislead some to think they are unique valid species, ie misleading those who dont read dry lists of valid names. If it were listed as Phormictopus sp "antillensis" i wouldnt have so much of a problem with the creative name, though i would ask...why is it not one of the already named species, and from which antilles island? The name as Phormictopus sp "antillensis" is needlessly vague..

Hydrazine / Tarac, nah, cmon, what were you going to say? I dont know and im intrigued !! I don't see why anyone should worry about looking like an idiot if before speaking/writing publicly that you first think and then do some background checks to verify your new ideas ...?

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Oh, I didn't take it bad at all, and in fact I learned something, so no worries. :) I posted a link about the name and info on it, as it was familiar to me but I didn't realize it was not an actual accepted name. After your post, I removed the link to keep confusion at a minimum.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... Pikaia (stan), let me be clearer, TKG is in a league of high quality information far far above much of the bunk on the internet. A few issues and errors are to be expected in a work that size. You are to be commended for taking on board comments and changes, and even more commended for openly having an Addendum and Erratum which all can see. We are also talking about an earlier edition than current also. ...
Being told you're wrong is never a pleasant experience, but I ALWAYS want to be corrected when I screw up. Nobody's perfect, least of all me. And, the one thing I want to avoid is starting or promulgating another myth all of my own!

And, thanks a bunch for all the kind words.

Enjoy your little 8-legged, swell-headed buddy! :eek:

Tarac

Arachnolord

fix

Arachnopeon
Tell me is it a female spider l8\9 -Phormictopus antillensis or am I being deceived? who knows these spiders well

20220125_174357.jpg

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Tell me is it a female spider l8\9 -Phormictopus antillensis or am I being deceived? who knows these spiders well

View attachment 408890
Phormictopus antillensis doesn’t seem to exist/species record from what I’ve seen. Unless it was Phormictopus sp. Antillensis (still haven’t heard of it tho, could be a made up trade name) which would mean that it’s part of the whole Phormictopus mess and nobody would be able to give you a definite answer.