American Trapdoor species...Antrodiaetus

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anyone here keep any of the various species of North American trapdoor species? I will be photographing some Antrodiaetus spp. pretty soon and was just curious if anyone has worked with this genus before. They are a folding trapdoor species. I'll post my pics when I get them.

Bobby

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've foudn a trapdoor web.. it extended for 3 feet underground.. I never foudn the spider it must have fled through a secret tunnel that I dug over without noticed :(

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm pretty excited about the collecting trip that I will see these spiders on. The person that I am going with is a retired professor from my school who is world famous for his work with spiders. With his expertise we shouldn't have a hard time finding at least two species of trapdoor. I really really hope that we can find Sphodros rufipes, the red legged purse web. They are dammed cool looking.
Bobby

Twitche

Arachnopeon
Does anybody know if trapdoor spiders can be found in northern climates? I live in central Wisconsin.

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I do beilieve that there are a few species in Wisconsin, not sure though. I know that a professor from my school has collected trapdoors on an island in lake superior so im guessing there would be some in wisconsin.

"Sphodros niger (Hentz, 1842)

Atypus niger Hentz, 1842

Atypus milberti (misidentification) Gertsch, 1936

CT,IL,IN,KS,MI,MO,NC,NJ,NY,OH,ON,PA,TN,VA,WI"

Ok, I found this at this website: http://kaston.transy.edu/spiderlist/index.html
So it looks like you have a purseweb there.

tghuan

Arachnopeon
Maybe I can help

This is my first post here. I am a spider enthusiast who recently moved to Vancouver island. I have had a Chilean rose hair tarantula for four years. I believe she is female not sure. She /he has molted 4 times. The largest thing I have fed her was a mouse. It was unbelievable to watch and I got it all on camcorder.

I had bought a Malaysian forest scorpion that had babies. I guess the pet store never knew she was pregnant. I gave them to friends when they got a bit bigger but I never kept a baby. She died about a year later. I should have kept a baby.Anyways for the op I think I can help maybe?

I caught one. I live in British Columbia. It is a male and it is a Antrodiaetus pacificus. I saved it from drowning in a pond. I took many good pictures and put it in a large jar with soil. This is a temporary home until I can make him a good habitat. I might let it go though haven't decided. I have the pics if everyone wants to see them. How do you upload images here I am new to this site.:8o

I love bugs. My wife says she has never seen me so excited as when I find a rare bug. LOL I guess maybe some would refer to me as strange for my bug obsession. I love arachnids

Last edited: