building temp and humidity controlled cabinet

bradpaden

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm considering building a cabinet to house tarantulas that is temp and humidity controlled so that i don't have to keep my entire room heated. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Im hoping some of you have some suggestions or tips on how to do this. I intend to purchase a zoomed temp and humidity controller as well as a zoo med fogger. i realize ill need a fan to remove extra heat and humidity. but im not sure what to use for heat to insure no fires occur. any ideas or pics of your setups would be awesome

bradpaden

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I forgot to mention that this is mostly for egg sack production for p metalica

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
I forgot to mention that this is mostly for egg sack production for p metalica

Ive done this with a large clear tote. You can easily put a couple incandescent bulbs in line with a thermostat and dimmer. Wire CPU fans to old phone chargers to keep air circulating. The plastic does a good job of keeping in humidity and depending on how much ventilation you add you have the dimmer controlling heat output.

For a heated cabinet Ive heard of people finding older cabinets and remodelling the doors to add glass for ease of viewing. Run strips of heat tape down the back wall. Add a thermostat and CPU fan to each shelf. Im currently researching something similar for my growing collection of herps. Not too mention that regardless of Tarantula Temp Needs, there are reasons why someone would want to artificially add/control heat and it isnt detrimental.