Different "forms" of P.murinus

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just thought I would post a pic of a DCF P.murinus and a DCF x NCF(Normal/orange) of P.murinus for comparison.
Does the cross look a bit like the tan colour form of murinus?

DCF:

DCF x NCF:

Last edited:

Theist 17

Arachnosquire
That's really interesting. Those wouldn't happen to be members of the same sac, would they?

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, that is stunning!
Seen the pic before, but never knew where it came from.

jdl

Arachnosquire
The cross does like the normal form of murinus, but it has a bit more of an orange tinge to it. I have been looking for the normal variant of murinus. What happened to all of them. They were being bred pretty regularly in the nineties.

macbaffo

Arachnolord
thanks for the pics!
the DCF X NCF...that's a crossbreed? what body lenght has that T?

btw the DCF looks like a P. chordatus to me...maybe i'm mistaken by the pic but the pattern on the opistosoma seems like the chordatus' one...:?

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Legspan on both are around 8cm.
The DCF is definitely murinus. Found in Zimbabwe. As slings they looked like any other murinus with the bright orange abdomen. As they got older, they lost the colorful abdomen.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
None of my OBTs had a bright orange anything as slings. They were pretty nondescript brownish-gray spiderlings and developed color with each successive molt.

macbaffo

Arachnolord
interesting...in the area where you found them you saw also the orange form?
do you think it's a croosbreed between dark and orange or it's totally another coloration?

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
do you think it's a crossbreed between dark and orange or it's totally another coloration?
No, only the dark form. Adults and juvies were fully arboreal and slings either arboreal or burrowing.
I would have no reason to think that they would be crossbred considering they were in the wild away from pretty much all civilization.

---------- Post added 12-14-2012 at 04:20 PM ----------

None of my OBTs had a bright orange anything as slings. They were pretty nondescript brownish-gray spiderlings and developed color with each successive molt.
That's strange.
I have raised maybe 50 murinus from various origins and all had definate orange/gold on their abdomens as slings.

macbaffo

Arachnolord
Ceratogyrus

Quote Originally Posted by macbaffo View Post
do you think it's a crossbreed between dark and orange or it's totally another coloration?
No, only the dark form. Adults and juvies were fully arboreal and slings either arboreal or burrowing.
I would have no reason to think that they would be crossbred considering they were in the wild away from pretty much all civilization.
well you wrote DCF x NCF and i understood that it was a crossbreed of the 2 forms. Natural crossbreed. Not necessarily you need civilization to do that (and if it's possible the crossbreed of course). You need the two forms living near each other of course that's why i asked you that question.
But i never looked into the P. murinus matter of color forms so i don't know if they actually are different species not breedable toghether or just color forms.

----
btw could the second picture be the UMV described in the site baboonspider.de?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
DCF x NCF and i understood that it was a crossbreed of the 2 forms
That was my understanding, too.

I have raised maybe 50 murinus from various origins and all had definate orange/gold on their abdomens as slings.
I have limited experience. I've only raised three, ranging from 0.5 to 1.0 inch at their respective acquisitions. Each had faint glimmers of orange/gold if I looked at them in the right light, but noticeable color took awhile to kick in.
MM, 6.0 inch DLS, darkened up some at maturing molt.

Immature male, ~4.0 inches DLS - picture doesn't do him justice. He is a brilliant orange.

+/- mature female, ~5.0 inches. Again, camera doesn't do her justice. She is practically neon orange.

All captive bred, each are different ages from different breedings from different parts of the country (US), so I assume they are only distantly related. I gave each the opportunity to be arboreal, semi, terrestrial, fossorial, or any combination. The MM burrowed until ~1.25", then he went semi-arboreal until his maturing molt when he went back underground. The other two were semi arboreal as slings, both are currently burrowed.

You report your darker color form:
Adults and juvies were fully arboreal and slings either arboreal or burrowing.
Sounds like lifestyle and color form may have a connection.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I would love to pick up some DCF murinus. I just love this species, and I would like to get as many color forms as there are, but the DCF tops the list.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Think we are misunderstanding each other. :)
The DCF is from Zimbabwe.
The DCF x NCF is a captive "cross". It was a cross from a Zim male and NCF female as far as I am aware. Were not bred by me, so not 100% sure. The NCF was not from Zim though, it was an import from Kenya I would assume.

macbaffo

Arachnolord
do you know if the guy who cross breeded DCFxNCF breeded again the slings? or do you know if those "crosses" are fertile?

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The offspring should all be about this ones size, so doubt any have been bred.
They should be fertile as both parents were murinus.
Pretty sure that lots of brachycephalus in the USA are actually crosses between darlingi and brachycephalus and they still breed, but that is an entirely different thread. :)

Jquack530

Arachnosquire
I would love to pick up some DCF murinus. I just love this species, and I would like to get as many color forms as there are, but the DCF tops the list.
I agree! I would love to have the DCF. I'm aware that there are several color forms, but all I've ever seen offered is the RCF.

Last edited: