Experiences with heat tape

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So ive decided to buy a curio cabinet from ikea http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10011055/#/10011055 to house my slings and various juvies, and I would like the option of having an additional heat source when needed. I like the idea of heat tape but have no experience with it.

I am not looking for a heat source debate (we all have our own opinions, so can we stick to the topic) but more of personal experiences with the stuff.
Any recommendations or ideas?

Will one small strip heat the whole unit, or would i need to run an individual strip on each shelf?

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I had a small two shelf cabinet a few years ago for juvies, I used two strips of heat tape about 12" each shelf, they kept the temp at 79f most of the time, only used them for 8-9 days so not an expert, but they worked fine, I couldn't see the link it wouldn't let me.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
I use it my cabinet and it keeps it about 78-79. I switch it out depending on how cold it is. I have a 14ft 25watt for moderatly cold and I use a 22ft 50watt for when it gets really cold. Works great for me. I just ran it along the back if the shelves and its good to go

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thanks for the replies guys. The range of the temps sound like what i would like them to be at constantly, and i think it is a great aesthetic alternative to red bulbs or mats. I like the idea of the tape, because it wont heat the whole room, and doesn't directly touch the cages.
I have yet to look TOO FAR into it, but will definitely be hitting a Home Depot or looking around online. Guess i have some new stuff to research

jarmst4

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I get heat tape from the bean farm. Just google them, you can get it pretty cheap on there. I use a vivarium electronics thermostat on mine, but if you don't want anything fancy use it with a light dimmer. It can't go over 95 so it has to be controlled. I have it behind my sling shelves and it works great.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
As someone who is going to build a shelving system for my slings and others that do better with higher temps, and who has to put the shelves in a room that doesn't get too warm, I appreciate this thread. I was debating with myself on what to use. I believe I have my answer now!

Blame Tapatalk + "smart" phone for the typos kthnx

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
It absolutely must be regulated with at least a rheostat (dimmer switch) but much better a thermostat, and you won't find it at HD or any other hardware store. Sometimes you might be able to get it at reptile shows, but the bean farm is where I got mine when I had snakes. They will wire it for you, too, if I recall!

jarmst4

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358055172.364144.jpg
One sling shelf. Notice the heat tape in the back.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358055202.113532.jpg
Light dimmers to regulate temp. They are not the most accurate, but they work.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358055102.945188.jpg
That's what I use on my reptile racks. Works great for pretty accurate temps.

Wiring a dimmer to them is pretty simple. Hit me up if you need a drawing or pic of a wiring diagram.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
It absolutely must be regulated with at least a rheostat (dimmer switch) but much better a thermostat, and you won't find it at HD or any other hardware store. Sometimes you might be able to get it at reptile shows, but the bean farm is where I got mine when I had snakes. They will wire it for you, too, if I recall!
Some of the snake guys recommend a primary and backup thermostat, in case the primary one fails. That can set you back ≈ $200. If it prevents a fire, I guess its worth it.

---------- Post added 01-13-2013 at 07:12 AM ----------

Will one small strip heat the whole unit, or would i need to run an individual strip on each shelf?
I would run a long strip clear up and down the cabinet. The more tape you have, the less hot it needs to get to heat your cabinet.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
IMO, if the temp stays consistent then a stat isnt necessary. I find that I dont have the need for one. Heat cord doesnt get very hot at all, just warm. If you make sure it doesnt cross over itself and make a "hot spot" and monitor the temp you should be fine. Thats why I have 3 levels of heat......none, 25w cord, and 50w cord and I plug the one in I need depending on my apartments ambient temperature.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well.. phase 1 is done haha

So far ive got the cabinet and got it all placed together. Ive temporarily placed some stuff in there to show off, but i am not done yet.
I will eventually run some heat tape down the back, but for now i was thinking of just placing a lava lamp on the bottom shelf.
It will provide some extra warmth through out the curio at night, and it will look awesome (i really like lava lamps for those who dont know.. they help me sleep at night :D)

Anyways, this shelf was cheap (like 70$) and the pack of LED lighting cost about 20$. I put it together in about a half hour by myself, but with help could have gone quicker. Neat little project with great looki ng end results

This shelf fits a 2.5 gal horizontal/vertical with ease and i BELIEVE 5 gal tanks will fit in as well both vertical/horizontal.
12x12x12 Exo terras will fit as well. I am getting a 2nd curio for some adult arboreals i have. I am going to have to test it out, because its reccommended for the shelves to not exceed 13 lbs.

Anyways, some pics.. hope you enjoy. Im pretty stoked about it.
Just got to do some rearranging of my closet and ill be done
View attachment 113327 View attachment 113328 View attachment 113329

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thanks for the compliments guys.
In the next week or so me and my girl are getting a new dresser and tv to go into the closet. I will be buying another curio set up so i can have them flanking either side of the dresser. Between the ts and the new LED that will be my favorite place in the house:biggrin: