Are these springtails?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Hi, sorry if this has been asked too many times, but I'm just too paranoid about this to be satisfied by a search. :p

A few weeks ago I noticed these tiny, white, elongated organisms floating in clumps in my B. albiceps's water dish. I suspected that they were springtails, but to be safe I separated her from my other pets (none of which have them), cleaned her water dish, allowed her enclosure to dry, and decreased the available water for a while. I didn't notice any more, until just now. Last time I filled her dish it overflowed a bit (the first time in weeks) and tonight I noticed that they were back. Here's a pic. Sorry for the poor quality - this was taken with a cell phone, and the water dish's texture kind of makes it hard to see the organisms, but at least it's something. They're the grayish clumps floating in the center of the dish:
waterdish.jpg

To reiterate, they are REALLY tiny. I have to lean in and stare at them for a while in order to see that they're moving. They seem to only thrive in the water dish. I haven't seen them anywhere else in the enclosure, and they're not on my T. So are these springtails? Thanks!

Last edited:

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
tiny, white, elongated organisms floating in clumps in my B. albiceps's water dish. I suspected that they were springtails, but to be safe I separated her from my other pets (none of which have them), cleaned her water dish, allowed her enclosure to dry, and decreased the available water for a while.!
They sound like springtails but I'm at a loss to why you want to get rid of them. Springtails are great and I WANT them in my humid tanks that will support them, they are the micro organisms that are the 'clean up crew' and I wouldnt be without them.

Have you read >>> THIS ? <<< especially the 3rd paragraph.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
^^ he separated it "to be safe", as in, just in case it wasn't springtails and something else that may be harmful.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
So if these are springtails what are the very, very tiny tan colored extremely fast bugs that live in the substrate? I've only seen them a couple of times. They're not dangerous as they never caused any problems with the inhabitants. They're kind of elongated too. They're so hard to see so I can't even find anything to compare them too.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Are you sure they are not a silverish color? If so, they are springtails.
So if these are springtails what are the very, very tiny tan colored extremely fast bugs that live in the substrate? I've only seen them a couple of times. They're not dangerous as they never caused any problems with the inhabitants. They're kind of elongated too. They're so hard to see so I can't even find anything to compare them too.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
They sound like springtails but I'm at a loss to why you want to get rid of them. Springtails are great and I WANT them in my humid tanks that will support them, they are the micro organisms that are the 'clean up crew' and I wouldnt be without them.

Have you read >>> THIS ? <<< especially the 3rd paragraph.
I'm totally supportive of beneficial micro-organisms (I actually just took a class that addressed the problems with germ theory). I only separated her to be safe. I have a collection that's worth more than a thousand dollars, and I can't afford to assume the best. I'll return her to her old spot though. Thanks for the help, everyone. :)

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Are you sure they are not a silverish color? If so, they are springtails.
I'm not sure exactly what color it was to tell you the truth. It moved so fast I only saw it for a second and I couldn't find it when I tried to dig it up. It looked tan but it was also on a piece of dark brown tree bark on damp cocofiber so I don't know.

On another note, I found a predatory mite in one of my scorpion's cups. It's been months and months! I don't how it survived so long!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It very well could be springtails. They are awesome little creatures. Thats probably the only reason i havent gotten predatory mites yet, is cause they will wipe out the springtails too.
I'm not sure exactly what color it was to tell you the truth. It moved so fast I only saw it for a second and I couldn't find it when I tried to dig it up. It looked tan but it was also on a piece of dark brown tree bark on damp cocofiber so I don't know.

On another note, I found a predatory mite in one of my scorpion's cups. It's been months and months! I don't how it survived so long!

mmfh

Arachnobaron
In my experience with enclosures that have "spontaniously" sprouted microlife, the elongated white/tan creatures have always been springtails. While the round white/tan creatures are grain mites. When in the same enclosure (my A. avic) they seem to keep a cap on eachothers population and cause no problems.

macbaffo

Arachnolord
R: Are these springtails?

Different species of Springtails have also different colors from white to dark tones.

It's always better not have mites at all.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
It is best to not have mites but when someone (not me) has hundreds of tarantulas, many of which need to be kept in humid environments, it's near impossible to keep them out. Of course, if you have a nice ecosystem going there shouldn't be any problems. Isopods, springtails, predatory mites and grain mites can all live safely with a tarantula. I don't remember who said this but someone said they have had this ecosystem going on in their tailless whip scorpion's enclosure. He said that the predatory mites have been living in there for over a year.

Is there anything more natural than this type of environment?

Just curious, why do you love them?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
So, since they're so beneficial, would it be a good idea to transfer some springtails to my other enclosures? (All my animals have been quarantined and are healthy.)

macbaffo

Arachnolord

Yes but only in the enclosure of your genics and pokie. For the other dry substrate species...well useless since substrate should be dry.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have springtails in some of my dry enclosures. They got in there by themselves. They just seem to hang out in the water bowl. If it dries out, they burrow down until water is back.
Yes but only in the enclosure of your genics and pokie. For the other dry substrate species...well useless since substrate should be dry.

macbaffo

Arachnolord

I have springtails in some of my dry enclosures. They got in there by themselves. They just seem to hang out in the water bowl. If it dries out, they burrow down until water is back.
I didn't say they won't survive.
Their duty is to eat remnants and stuff to prevent mold but if the enclosure is dry they are pointless cos no mold will grow anyway.