Another death

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Damn, i'm so annoyed, my 'vanuatu' pede died over the weekend. i fed it on thursday last week and was away until yesterday evening. When i checked it this morning it was curled into a corner and looking a bit dried up. It seems to have been dead for at least a few days. I'm gutted, as i dont think they are commonly available in the UK, and mine was a really nice looking one. There is no obvous cause of death, it had been acting its usual viscious self last week, and there is no sign of mites or parasites, it just died :(
Oh well, at least it gives me an escuse to buy more pedes at the BTS!

Cheers,

Dan.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
damn,... not good news :(
vanuata's are one of the most beautiful pedes around,... to my opinion

sorry about your lost !

(PS: Vanuata's are quite common in Germany ;) )

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Dan,
Sorry to hear about your pede.The toll of pedes has been quite high in the last 6 months. :(
George

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
George,
Yes, its wierd, it's not like we are experiencing something tangable that is killing them, i just dissected it under the microscope in my lab and couldn't find any nematodes or other parasites. I suppose they just die sometimes, for no real reason.

Steven,
I might have to ask Vinmann to bring over some vanuatu pedes as well as the new S.american stock to the BTS ;)

Dan.

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry about your loss. I lost all my madagascan pedes about a month ago, they finally ate each other. :mad: It has already been brought up before, but the reason a lot of pedes have been dying lately may be that collectors only collect the biggest ones because they figure those are the ones people will want to buy, and when we get them they are near the end of their lives.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
danread said:
I suppose they just die sometimes, for no real reason.
Actually, that simple statement encompasses about 80% of what I've learned about pede-keeping over the past couple of years. Sometime they do just up and die... I have had several that looked fine one day and simply weren't moving the next. There's no rhyme or reason to it either... I've lost several large pedes over the last year that were eating one day and dead the next... literally. None quite so large that you'd think they were dead of old age either...

That's why it doesn't pay to get emotionally attachend to inverts... unless its a LTC female tarantula, evidently ;)

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really dont think this death was due to old age, it was about the 5-6" mark, and only molted about 4 months ago. I know no-one is sure of the final size of vanuatu pedes, but i think it might be a bit bigger.

Mister Internet,

it is strange, both the pedes i have lost recently showed no sign of their impending death, both were acting normally, and more importantly, feeding well. i would have expected to see some sluggishness or going off food before death, but this wasnt the case. The only thing both did in common was spending the lat few days of their life in fuly view and not hiding, but that isnt too unusualas they both went through stages of hiding and then staying out in the open for prolonged periods of time.

Dan.

Last edited:

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
The posts about the England show have been moved to Arachnofunctions where they belong... please try to keep topics in the informational forums on topic.