My Axolotls

Grin

Arachnoknight

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh, you are an enabler! Fascinating creatures! I kept these years ago and recently had someone offer some to me for free. I declined, but seeing your pics makes me rethink my decision. LOL Thanks for sharing! Love the growth sequence.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool! When I was in grad school the biology department maintained a breeding colony for research purposes. It seems its been moved from Indiana University to the University of Kentucky (not sure why) but I'm glad to see effort is ongoing. Here's the parent site for for the project:

http://www.ambystoma.org/

There's a pretty cool promo video for the colony on the home page.

Last edited:

Grin

Arachnoknight
Oh, you are an enabler! Fascinating creatures! I kept these years ago and recently had someone offer some to me for free. I declined, but seeing your pics makes me rethink my decision. LOL Thanks for sharing! Love the growth sequence.
Thanks!
Should of taken up the offer, these guys are interesting.
These guys are around 4" now and will possibly lay around the end of summer.
If you you don't have any by then i'll notify you :p

I' going to keep this updated as they grow.

---------- Post added 02-06-2013 at 11:31 AM ----------

Cool! When I was in grad school the biology department maintained a breeding colony for research purposes. It seems its been moved from Indiana University to the University of Kentucky (not sure why) but I'm glad to see effort is ongoing. Here's the parent site for for the project:

http://www.ambystoma.org/

There's a pretty cool promo video for the colony on the home page.
Thanks for sharing :)
Video is interesting. Looks like they're taken care of well. Nice fluffy gills.
The information they offer on there is well worth reading as well, still working my way through the site.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh I love your axolotls!
such cool animals. Looking forward to updates :)

-Kelly

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wish there was a way to safely make them turn to land adults, most that do die months later for no reason.

lizardminion

Arachnolord
Those are so cool- the variety is amazing!
Axolotls, along with betta fish, are the only aquatic vertebrates I would actually want to keep.

Grin

Arachnoknight
I wish there was a way to safely make them turn to land adults, most that do die months later for no reason.
Meh, i really like them aquatic. They just look so funny without no gills and morphed, almost look like a pruned toe.

---------- Post added 02-10-2013 at 02:41 PM ----------

Those are so cool- the variety is amazing!
Axolotls, along with betta fish, are the only aquatic vertebrates I would actually want to keep.
Pretty much how i am too, although i really like mudpuppies and sirens. If olms could be kept in captivity they would make an awesome display.

Grin

Arachnoknight
I was able to get some nice pictures of the young ones.

DSCN4988 by PorcelainGrin, on Flickr

DSCN4987 by PorcelainGrin, on Flickr

DSCN4976 by PorcelainGrin, on Flickr

DSCN4973 by PorcelainGrin, on Flickr

DSCN4964 by PorcelainGrin, on Flickr

DSCN4959 by PorcelainGrin, on Flickr

Picked up some new additions from a member.
These guys are stunning. Working on the tank for them and should have plants in soon.

DSCN4919 by PorcelainGrin, on Flickr

DSCN4904 by PorcelainGrin, on Flickr

DSCN4906 by PorcelainGrin, on Flickr​

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Sniff:cry:

Jem needs a diet...kind of a food thief.

I'm glad you like them and was very happy to find someone who would appreciate them as I did. Good luck with them and please do post an update when your tank is ready to go:)

Grin

Arachnoknight
Sniff:cry:

Jem needs a diet...kind of a food thief.

I'm glad you like them and was very happy to find someone who would appreciate them as I did. Good luck with them and please do post an update when your tank is ready to go:)

Better bigger then skinny.
I've seen some starved looking axolotls and it's pretty gross.
I believe it's El Jefe that i caught today with his bottom hanging out of the food dish.
I got the 2 bigger ones in the tank thats been cycling and tested everyday.
I'll be working on the 45 gal and resealing it to get it ready.
Special Ed is awesome and very active as well. I'll be putting him in his own tank so he's able to regenerate. Once the younger axolotls reach close to his size i'll try regrouping him with them.

FearNot

Arachnosquire
These guys are beautiful! Mind if I message you with a few questions sometime? I've been thinking about getting a couple but Im not certain how difficult they are to care for

Grin

Arachnoknight
These guys are beautiful! Mind if I message you with a few questions sometime? I've been thinking about getting a couple but Im not certain how difficult they are to care for
Go right ahead.
It might seem like a bit much at first when they're young, but things get easier as they get older.
It's a daily routine for me.

Also check out Caudata.org, really great forum community.

scavare

Arachnopeon
So cute. If you happen to be selling any, let me know! I've wanted one for quite a while.

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was lusting over the pictures when my fiance walked by, looked at my monitor and said "Dont even think about it" and walked away.

These are awesome. I am especially digging the brown/grey speckled guys!

arachnofab

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
These are adorable! Ever since I've found out about them I wanted to find one - these are the neatest creatures! Beautiful collection btw ! ! ! :D