Androctonus Bicolor Breeding Project

AntonLaVey

Arachnopeon
Hi all..
I got this pair of Androc Bicolor and are now both ready for mating..Earlier I placed in the male in the female's enclosure and right away they held hands..But it's running 2hours now and still no luck..Just doing the dancing ritual but never stopped in the platform to deposit the spermatophore..Is it really this long for them to mate?
For professional advice please..
Regards,

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, it can take a few hours. If the female loses interest she'll stop it. Give it until tomorrow and try again I heard of people talk about mating rituals last up to two days. Make sure they are both well fed.

AntonLaVey

Arachnopeon
Thank you for that response Abyss..After 2 1/2 hours.. It ended up successfully (i hope).. Will re-introduce the male again after a week to assure she is really carrying up something nice inside her..

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

Last edited:

GS

Arachnoknight
Will re-introduce the male again after a week to assure she is really carrying up something nice inside her..
That's a great way to increase the chance of successful insemination Kritter.

In fact, an adult pair of A.bicolor can be kept communally untill you observed the first embryo starts showing through the female's pleural membrane.

Simply ensure that the essential husbandry are met and you shouldn't have problem getting your first brood of "Fat-Tail" :angelic:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

In fact, an adult pair of A.bicolor can be kept communally untill you observed the first embryo starts showing through the female's pleural membrane.

Simply ensure that the essential husbandry are met and you shouldn't have problem getting your first brood of "Fat-Tail" :angelic:
I can second this. My adult pairs would share a burrow no problem, which surprised me at the time how well they do together.

AntonLaVey

Arachnopeon

Well actually this could be the 2nd time she will be bringing out some babies.. 1st time she did, all 2nd instars climbed down right away, im not sure why.. after a few weeks she ate the most while the rest started wandering off and died.. no males with her that time to ensure a quality time with her brood.. :(

GS

Arachnoknight
I can second this. My adult pairs would share a burrow no problem, which surprised me at the time how well they do together.
Hey grom :wink:

Yep, that's true. In fact, most of my breeding pairs have been housed communally all the way up till the female starts popping.
I didn't recommend this, as it can be a hassle trying to remove the adult male while minimizing disturbance to the scorpion mom :bruised:

Well actually this could be the 2nd time she will be bringing out some babies.. 1st time she did, all 2nd instars climbed down right away, im not sure why.. after a few weeks she ate the most while the rest started wandering off and died..:(
Ic.. sorry to hear that...

Sometimes, it's pretty hard to explain why things do not turn out the way we wanted. e.g. 1.instar climbed down instead of the usual "horse riding" on their mom's back, or the scorpion mom "taking a snack" out of her own kids..

In times like these, it might be good to consider incubating the 1.instar slings by themselves and take some time to prepare their new enclosure while they molt to 2.instar :

The above photo showed some abandoned 1.instar scorplings. I'm lucky to have save them all, through the following method:

[Case Study] Rescuing Abandoned Desert Scorpion Babies

[HOW TO] Incubate 1.instar Scorpling

Anyway, good luck for this incoming brood :biggrin:

Regards,
GS

Last edited:

AntonLaVey

Arachnopeon
Hey grom :wink:

Yep, that's true. In fact, most of my breeding pairs have been housed communally all the way up till the female starts popping.
I didn't recommend this, as it can be a hassle trying to remove the adult male while minimizing disturbance to the scorpion mom :bruised:

Ic.. sorry to hear that...

Sometimes, it's pretty hard to explain why things do not turn out the way we wanted. e.g. 1.instar climbed down instead of the usual "horse riding" on their mom's back, or the scorpion mom "taking a snack" out of her own kids..

In times like these, it might be good to consider incubating the 1.instar slings by themselves and take some time to prepare their new enclosure while they molt to 2.instar :

The above photo showed some abandoned 1.instar scorplings. I'm lucky to have save them all, through the following method:

[Case Study] Rescuing Abandoned Desert Scorpion Babies

[HOW TO] Incubate 1.instar Scorpling

Anyway, good luck for this incoming brood :biggrin:

Regards,
GS
i wish i had seen these earlier..i always thought they will return to their mother's back so i just let them be..i make sure to take note of those very helpful tips..

GS

Arachnoknight
i wish i had seen these earlier..i always thought they will return to their mother's back so i just let them be..i make sure to take note of those very helpful tips..
No prob, my breeding projects are all documented to share with fellow hobbyist.

Btw, among them, there was an occurance that the same A.bicolor female gave birth again in just three months (estimated)) after her recent brood of 50.

Her first gestation was about ten months, the second was only three months and had equal amount of babies.

For for your heads-up, so you may be prepared for the different scenarios :biggrin:

Regards,
GS

yames

Arachnopeon
I Know it's off topic but gs walked me through saving an entire litter of Lq babies that never got on moms back. I'm still raising them up to 4th I as we speak it's been about 60 days at 3rd I. So the method he outlines works very well. Thanks again GS for your amazing ASA's and well described pictures and posts.

AntonLaVey

Arachnopeon
i greatly appreciate all of your inputs i just hope she still has something there inside since she didn't looked like lose anything..also keeping an eye for 2 more gravid specimens..Nebo Heirochonticus and Buthacus Leptochelys..I hope they wont experience the same thing..

GS

Arachnoknight
I Know it's off topic but gs walked me through saving an entire litter of Lq babies that never got on moms back. I'm still raising them up to 4th I as we speak it's been about 60 days at 3rd I. So the method he outlines works very well. Thanks again GS for your amazing ASA's and well described pictures and posts.
Hey bro, thanks for your kind words. It's great to share the little things that I know of :biggrin:

i greatly appreciate all of your inputs i just hope she still has something there inside since she didn't looked like lose anything..also keeping an eye for 2 more gravid specimens..Nebo Heirochonticus and Buthacus Leptochelys..I hope they wont experience the same thing..
Hopefully not *Fingers crossed for you.
We'll be around if you need anything :wink: