Bad shipping experience--Please Read!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The point of this thread is to help some people new to shipping, and also for long time shippers, because we never know how a shipment will turn out.

To start this off, i had alot of slings to ship out this week. I had 8 boxes with a total of 291 slings going out.

I had made a major mistake during the packaging of these slings. Luckily me and a great buddy on here were able to pinpoint it, and make sure it does not happen again.

For some reason i had it in my head that being wintertime, and shipping with a 72 hour heatpack, the slings would need excess water. So i packed them up as usual, into individual straws, with wads of paper towel corking both ends. The problem arose when i was using my spray bottle to squirt down the wads of paper towels before inserting them into the straws. When i was squirting them, i would do so until they were soaked, and the water would start dripping out of them. Then the excess water would run out as i was squeezing the paper wads into the straws. I thought since there was a heatpack in the box, it would burn out the humidity quickly, so the excess water would be good. Turned out i was very very wrong. Here is a list of the packages that went out.

Package 1: contained 65 slings, there was 21 doa
Package 2: contained 56 slings, there was 30 doa
Package 3: contained 15 slings, there was 2 doa
Package 4: contained 10 slings, there was 1 doa
Package 5: contained 40 slings, there was 24 doa
Package 6: contained 20 slings, there was 2 doa
Package 7: contained 10 slings, there was 1 doa
Package 8: contained 60 slings, read further

Ok, once package 5 made it to the owner, me and him got to talking about it. We came to the conclusion that the paper towels were way too wet. Being they were squeezed into the straws, and blocking ventilation, the moisture level was too high. So the leading cause of death we are blaming on drowning, with the possibility of boiling, due to the heat packs. We talked about winter shipping, and how the excess water in the paper towels will not warm up, and cause the slings to stay too cold also.

Being that we talked over what had been happening, i came to the conclusion to just give each wad of paper towel only 1 squirt each from the water bottle. Remember package 8? Well after talking with my buddy, that night i packed up package 8, with a total of 60 slings in it. I only squirted each wad of paper towel 1 quick time. I finished them up, and shipped them out. They arrived, and every single sling, all 60, were alive and in great shape. So, with that we were able to pinpoint for sure that the excess water had caused all of my problems. So i had made a horrible mistake, and can now move forward a little wiser. I now have a bad experience to learn from, and be sure it never happens again.

So the whole point of this thread is to help anyone just starting out into shipping tarantulas and other inverts. I have learned alot from the experience, please dont make the same mistake. Taking the time to read this through, could help you out alot, and save the lives of some spiders.

Also, in no way does this reflect my usual shipping. This was just a fluke mistake, that is now under control. So if you have the chance to deal with me in the future, please let my reviews reflect my packaging experience, and not this 1 time mistake.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

2bears

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you for sharing this information and giving us all the opportunity to learn for it.
Its to bad this happened but this information will help others, this way some good comes from the experience.
Hang in there.
2Bears

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks to both of you. Just happy that my experience might help someone out eventually.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sorry for your unfortunate losses man. I dont think this would ever affect your future dealings. Ive seen how you pack, and there is no complaints. This..like you said.. is a fluke. If anybody should let this ONE incident make their decision for them its THEIR LOSS, not yours

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Your more than welcome man. Hope it helps.
Thanks for sharing this! Helps a lot.

---------- Post added 02-16-2013 at 09:21 PM ----------

Thanks for the compliments bro. Hoping to make sure nothing like this ever happens again.
sorry for your unfortunate losses man. I dont think this would ever affect your future dealings. Ive seen how you pack, and there is no complaints. This..like you said.. is a fluke. If anybody should let this ONE incident make their decision for them its THEIR LOSS, not yours

Big B

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, sorry you had to learn this the hard way. I will keep your experience in mind next time I ship out.
I wasn't aware that you sold T's.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks! Hopefully this will help you and many others out. Just glad it was pinpointed before it happened more. Hehe, been selling/trading for a while now. Im sitting on some leftover slings, and 5 sacs right now. Check out my pairing thread in my signature.
Wow, sorry you had to learn this the hard way. I will keep your experience in mind next time I ship out.
I wasn't aware that you sold T's.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, im not a dealer by no means, just a hobbyist.

Last edited:

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for sharing this with us so we can avoid the same thing happening!

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
John

i appreciate your dilligence and i am very sorry for the slings you lost

but i believe there is a science to everything, and you are on the path of obtaining the knowledge to be a Mad Tarantula Scientist.

i will keep this post in mind sir

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
It certainly makes sense, I could see myself using that logic as well. Thank you for this - and I would still deal with you! :) We're only human and make mistakes sometimes, what makes a person someone I would deal with is knowing they're good for correcting their mistakes should they happen. I'm about to ship some smaller Ts out, so this is good for me to keep in mind.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Your welcome man.
Thanks for sharing this with us so we can avoid the same thing happening!

---------- Post added 02-17-2013 at 09:57 AM ----------

Thanks alot Aaron. Mad scientist, yep that sounds good :).
i appreciate your dilligence and i am very sorry for the slings you lost

but i believe there is a science to everything, and you are on the path of obtaining the knowledge to be a Mad Tarantula Scientist.

i will keep this post in mind sir

---------- Post added 02-17-2013 at 09:58 AM ----------

Your very welcome. Glad that you were able to read this thread before your soon to be shipping.
It certainly makes sense, I could see myself using that logic as well. Thank you for this - and I would still deal with you! :) We're only human and make mistakes sometimes, what makes a person someone I would deal with is knowing they're good for correcting their mistakes should they happen. I'm about to ship some smaller Ts out, so this is good for me to keep in mind.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Have you thought about putting holes in the straws with a heated up pin?

Works ok for me. :)

Blackprizm

Arachnosquire
Thanks! I'm planning to deliver some slings to be traded and I was looking for methods on how. But this thread already taught me.

I have a question, How do you ship larger ones, and how many holes do you punch on the straw ?

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a question, How do you ship larger ones, and how many holes do you punch on the straw ?
Anything over 1cm I tend to ship in a small 1oz deli pot packed with moist tissue, as for holes in the straw, two will do fine - just push the hot pin all the way through the straw.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have thought about it. Ive seen it done a few times. But never actually tried it. What exactly does it allow? More airflow?
Have you thought about putting holes in the straws with a heated up pin? Works ok for me. :)

And anyone else that can add anything to this thread, like mistakes you have made, tricks you have learned, please feel free.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I appreciate your honesty! Mistakes happen to the best us. It was nice of you to post your experience so others can learn from it.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Cool ill have to start doing that also. Thanks!

Yeah, it promotes a better airflow, which is always a good thing. :)

---------- Post added 02-17-2013 at 10:35 AM ----------

Thanks man. Glad to be able to give others a chance to learn from my mistake as well.
I appreciate your honesty! Mistakes happen to the best us. It was nice of you to post your experience so others can learn from it.