feeding pinkies questions?

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i was curious as to how many pinkies can be fed to a t and how often? i have a big E. murinus who's possibly gravid and wouldn't take crickets since i got her.. anyways i bought three pinkies 2 days ago to feed my snake, which died (check NSSW section in this forum) so i had 3 pinkies and nothing to feed them to.. so i decided to try my t's and none would take them except for the E. murinus.. i've fed it the last pinkie which my snake did not eat last night today.. all where live and she loved them.. what does bolus of a pinkie look like an how big is it? this is my first time feeding pinkies to my t's.. i didn't wanna throw them out.. now's she's a fat as a balloon..

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've fed my L. difficilis 4 in the span of a week - it kept eating the ones my other spiders wouldn't, and didn't look too grossly fat so I kept throwing them in there.

While IME the size of the bolus varies depending on the appetite of the spider, it normally looks like a ball of pink mush with a tail sticking out of it. You'll know when its there - not by seeing it - but because of the smell.

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea i've been told about the smell... i found a little ball of grey in the water dish that wasn't substrate for sure and i'm not sure if it was fecal matter because it was dark grey.. what if it leaves the bolus in it's burrow?? i don't want that nasty smell.. what would you do??

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ummm - I might not be that PC about it like other people - but if I new the spider wasn't molting (as is extremely likely after eating a pinky) - I'd just uproot the hide / burrow and get that smelly piece of mouse out. They'd be more likely to drop it somewhere like in the waterdish (where most of my spiders leave their discards) as they like to keep their living quarters fairly clean.