Theraphosa blondi & stirmi comparison

MaximusMeridus

Arachnopeon
After quite a bit of time with both Theraphosa blondi and stirmi and little information on comparisons other than setae on patella, here are 'my observations', of which seem to be consistent across all specimens.

Conclusion: T.stirmi is bigger built, more proportional, more agile, more powerful with longer legspan and T.blondi is hairier, less agile, stumpier and but far prettier.

For reference 2 adult females compared both with 4.1cm carapace width.

See full size with annotations here

Last edited:

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
so then are saying from your picture that T. stirmi generally get to larger sizes then T. blondi, because that would be interesting

MaximusMeridus

Arachnopeon
My observations, due to significantly proportionally longer 1st exoskeleton segments i.e. femur and chelicerae, results in a stronger, longer(~1-1.5cm legspan), marginally heavier spider with the same carapace width. That doesn't however mean that the largest ever found in this respect is a T.stirmi although all indications show that T.stirmi and blondi share records and growth patterns for same carapace width.

so then are saying from your picture that T. stirmi generally get to larger sizes then T. blondi, because that would be interesting

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Wow, nice analysis. What about apophysis though? Any comparable info on him?

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very nice, really appreciate this. Before I noticed there was a difference, I used to wonder why some "blondis" appeared hairy and others more hairless, I put it down to picture variations and lighting or regional variations of the same sp, which is technically true.

Adding an Apophsis to this comparison would be epic.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Very interesting!!
What about Goliath Pinkfoots?? I heard they get very large

+1 Adding T Apophsis :biggrin:

Blackprizm

Arachnosquire
I never thought T. stirmi was much bigger.
Anyways, this should be pinned! Thanks!

jthorntonwillis

Arachnosquire
[QU
just enlarge your screen

OTE=Osmo;2135232]Cant read any of the text. Needs a larger font.[/QUOTE]

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very cool, I miss my T Stirmi. He was my first tarantula ever and I recently lost him after 3 years to his own self destruction. The stupid spider started wandering aimlessly around his cage and climbing up the walls until he lost 3 legs and became so physically damaged he died. This post makes me want to get another theraphosa!

SpiderFreak585

Arachnopeon
So im confused, does the stirmi really get more powerful and larger than blondi, just please somebody give me some info on these species, i would greatly appreciate it :)

Theraphosa Blondi and Stirmi (help)

i just really need some help on two particular species, the Theraphosa blondi and the stirmi. i just need to know the similarities and all the differences between the two specimens, like (body structer, size, color, etc) and any other info on them. any help would be greatly appreciated :)

skippydude

Arachnobaron
[video=youtube;6A0XB4vr9EA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0XB4vr9EA&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
i just really need some help on two particular species, the Theraphosa blondi and the stirmi. i just need to know the similarities and all the differences between the two specimens, like (body structer, size, color, etc) and any other info on them. any help would be greatly appreciated :)[/QUOTE

Do some searching online; there's lots of sites with info and pics. Have you used the search function here?