Got a new pede at repticon

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I purchased this 7-8 inch pede saturday.i believe I know what species it is but I want to double check with you guys.also,does she look like I might get some pedelings soon Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans?

Insektzuchen

Arachnosquire
It looks like your garden-variety Vietnamese Yellow-leg Centipede (S.s. subspinipes). I call them Vietcong because they're so aggressive. And it doesn't look gravid. It actually looks a little on the dehydrated/malnourished side so I'd give it a water dish and some superworms.

Last edited:

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I cant wrap my head around these centiped variations.all the mutilans pictures are almost identical to this one.but when I search vietnamese yellow leg it sais there known as chinese redhead.if im not mistaken isnt that mutilans?i dont get it.i have her in higher himidity now with a bowl of water.she has eaten 2 hisser nypms so far.thank you.

Insektzuchen

Arachnosquire
The Chinese redhead is mutilans and looks nothing like the one in your picture. It's definitely a Vietnamese Yellow-leg.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
oooooooo, nice specimen you have there, looks clean. btw I think they did away with the "subspinipes" name. I can't remember all the new names though, there is a thread about it somewhere.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
nice pede! looks great.....nasty nasty,gets big ,that's how i like em,scolopendra dehanni(spelling) yellowleg,so many names for these:) yeah i'm not sure if they still call them suspinipes either.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks guys.im really getting all up in google on this topic lol im startong to get it now.

Zumie

Arachnopeon
S. subspinipes dehanni?
I second that one. It looks like what I have always known as Dehanni. But if science has done away with Subspinipes then I don't know what it is called now. Time to do more homework... I must say it is a good looking one you got there fangsalot.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks fellas.shes doing great.although not much of an aggressive eater.she does eat but after a while of the cricket or roach running around.she doesnt "attack" immediatly after prey introduction.also,i love that she doesnt dig down or hide under the cork bark,always visible.is this common in this species?

Mello

ArachnoQUEEN
Thanks fellas.shes doing great.although not much of an aggressive eater.she does eat but after a while of the cricket or roach running around.she doesnt "attack" immediatly after prey introduction.also,i love that she doesnt dig down or hide under the cork bark,always visible.is this common in this species?
She is probably just not used to her new home yet so she won't attack viciously yet. I have an s. Dehaani as well and she is a beast! Ate a mouse after we didn't feed her for maybe 3-5 days. And as for being out all the time, mine is too. She has made one hole/burrow in the last 2 months we've had her.