Species identification

Vayu Son

Old Timer
Well, someone sold this to a friend of mine as a wolf spider. It came in a deli cup and had partially eaten some unidentified 3 - 5" juvenile centipede. I lack the expertise to make the distinction here between Heteroscodra or Stromatopelma sp. at this size. Any tips?

that said...

I don't really care if you do this at home. Accept responsibility for your own actions. Research the potential venom potency of Stromatopelmiinae. Definately don't do it with only one hand available and half naked in the shower.

I understand the difficulty of identification with only a picture. Even so, I appreciate any input.

We are leaning more towards Stromatopelma at the moment... but who can really say.

-V

Last edited:

Critterfarm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd say with some confidence that it's S. calceatum. The long red setae at the leg joints combined with the overall long wispy hairs on leg 4 are the trademark of this species.

If you can get a look at the underside, Heteroscodra have jet black labium and sternum, while the leg coxae are tan or light brown, forming sort of an inverted black teardrop look to the ventral view of the spider. A molt from a mature female or a close up of the papal bulbs of the mature male are the only 100% key between Heteroscodra and Stromatopelma that I know of. Someone surely has a better ID key for these.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
most likely stromatopelma...heres a freshly molted juv male. i also i have a juv female thats in premolt...

Attachments