Friend send me this pix

SubZero

Arachnopeon
My friend send me this pix and said it is not enhanced in any way, any expert out there can verify, if it not, that sure is one hell of a spider :)

No name

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im not expert. But if you this pix is not graphically enhanced. This is a truely kicka** H.Lividium (Cobalt blue from the northen part of thailand and mynmar)

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ive never seen a lividum with a blue butt before. Usually its a tan sort of color.

Im almost certain that picture is enhanced in one way or another.

Then again, by no means am I an expert. :rolleyes:

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
SubZero said:
My friend send me this pix and said it is not enhanced in any way, any expert out there can verify, if it not, that sure is one hell of a spider :)
Trust me...it IS enhanced ;)

Later,

Jake

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah, look at the webbing, it also has a blue color...
He shined a blue light on it.

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also...it's not a Haplopelma of any kind...looks like an aboreal. You can see a tiger-like pattern on the abdomen as well. Anyone have any clue as to what this is?

Later,

Jake

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
JakeRocks said:
Also...it's not a Haplopelma of any kind...looks like an aboreal. You can see a tiger-like pattern on the abdomen as well. Anyone have any clue as to what this is?

Later,

Jake
Don't Haplopelma have very faint tiger markings on the rump? I had an adult 'Haplopelma Minax' (very probable that it was misidentified) and that had very faint marks on its rump, although if you shone a light on it (like in the photo above), I'm sure they'd be more visible.

BTW, doesn't look like haplopelma, but it sure is nice!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
SubZero said:
This picture is slightly enhanced, but not much.

It is not a Haplopelma. I've seen other photographs of this species.....they are beautiful.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lopez said:
This picture is slightly enhanced, but not much.

It is not a Haplopelma. I've seen other photographs of this species.....they are beautiful.
OK, Leon, do tell, because that is most likely a Cyriopagopus sp.

Otherwise it is the spider also known as L.violaceopes (not the one in the pet trade), am I correct?????

Thanks mate,
Steve

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Perhaps they hve a blacklight on the T? That would explain the tint of the webbing

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Is this not the Cyriopagopus sp. that was found in Singapore? I may be wrong but I belive that if it is then one specimen was found but died soon after a moult :8o

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Looks like a Cyriopagopus Schiodtei with a bright blue light shining on it.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
This is most likely a 'natural' unenhanced photograph...

The reason the spider is so intensely blue is that it was most likely photographed with a digital camera which tends to bring out the Blue coloration...this is the reason P.metallica does not look as brightly colored in person as they do in all the photographs we drool over.

Check out my photo of one of my H.spinifer...you will see it looks quite blue. This photo is untouched other than being cropped.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/attachment.php?attachmentid=15944

They do have a bluish sheen when viewed in natural light to human eyes, but not nearly as intense as in this photo.

The reason it is so blue is that I use compact fluorescents for lighting and a digital camera to photograph the scorpion. The compact fluorescents put out a good amount of UV compared to incandescent bulbs and digital cameras are much more sensative to blue and UV ends of the light spectrum than the human eyes are. The result of this combination is a heightening of the blue end of the spectrum when photographing dark colored scorpions under the conditions and with the type of camera I described above. The blue coloration in spiders is also enhanced for most of the same reasons with the exception that the UV has very little, if any, enhancing effects...though the fluorescents do put out more light in the blue spectrum than incandescents or the sun. The digital cameras pick this up and bring it out.

Anyone can have a beautiful blue scorpion (or Tarantula) if they photograph it in the right lighting with the right camera.

John
];')

Last edited:

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tescos said:
Is this not the Cyriopagopus sp. that was found in Singapore? I may be wrong but I belive that if it is then one specimen was found but died soon after a moult :8o
That's the one (from what I can tell) - ah of course, you were at the lectures :)

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Kugellager said:
this is the reason P.metallica does not look as brightly colored in person as they do in all the photographs we drool over.

Maybe yours don't, mine sure do.... ;P

Scott

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Lopez said:
That's the one (from what I can tell) - ah of course, you were at the lectures :)
I wonderd where I had seen that before :? Although saying that I have been sent a better pic of that spider where the colours look alot more natural :)

Theraphosid Research Team

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all,

I've examined two exuviae from the bluish Specimen which is shown on the picture above and I can tell that it is really blue - at least the larger exuviae. The smaller exuviae looks more like a Cyriopagopus schioedtei, more brownish. Maybe the bluish coloration in this Species is developed only in adult Specimen. BTW, it is definitive a Cyriopagopus Species, but at the moment I can't tell to which Species of this genus it belongs, possibly a new Species. But I can tell for sure that it isn't Cyriopagopus schioedtei!

Cheers, Volker

SubZero

Arachnopeon
VolkervonWirth said:
Hi all,

I've examined two exuviae from the bluish Specimen which is shown on the picture above and I can tell that it is really blue

Volker, could you post a pix of the molt? My friend is sending me another photo later, I will post when I get it.
If it is really that blue do you guys see it as the next big thing?