WC wood lices

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
So, i was in backyard and i managed to catch 20-ish small wood lice isopods. What is the best way to test them if they carry some bad things? if i quarantine them for 3 months and they don't show sign of illness can i safely put them with my inverts as a cleaning crew?

jecraque

Arachnobaron
Lots of people do this, and I have done this as well on occasion with no problems. I think as far as "best practices," you are safer raising them, separating out any offspring that result into a different container, and then using the offspring of your WC individuals--they are less likely to harbor parasites that way I think.

Meezerkoko

Arachnoknight

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So, i was in backyard and i managed to catch 20-ish small wood lice isopods. What is the best way to test them if they carry some bad things? if i quarantine them for 3 months and they don't show sign of illness can i safely put them with my inverts as a cleaning crew?
If people who do this ever have any problems with pesticide contamination or parasites and diseases, it's very rare. I can't remember of any specific reports on the matter, just the background paranoid warnings. And, for most (but not all these conditions) the tarantula would have to eat the isopod to be afflicted. Most (but not all) tarantulas won't eat them. Why? Don't know. But if I had to spin a story I'd guess that the isopods were too small, too hard, tasted bad, hid too much, or the tarantulas weren't accustomed to isopods for dinner and didn't recognize them specifically as food.

You probably don't need to worry. But, if you're really paranoid or have some good reason for being suspicious, just set up a separate isopod cage for them alone, and raise them by themselves for a while. After 4 to 6 weeks they will almost surely have cleansed themselves of most pesticides (if there were any to begin with), and any that were grievously ill from parasites and diseases would either have died or prevailed over the infection.

Enjoy your little 10-legged bug-tanks!

Meezerkoko

Arachnoknight
Good advice. ^

I'll add one other advantage to breeding them though, and that is you'll always have a supply of them to feed into that tank or others. They also only require a lg tupperware container so they don't need much space. Either way though you should be fine.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
If people who do this ever have any problems with pesticide contamination or parasites and diseases, it's very rare. I can't remember of any specific reports on the matter, just the background paranoid warnings. And, for most (but not all these conditions) the tarantula would have to eat the isopod to be afflicted. Most (but not all) tarantulas won't eat them. Why? Don't know. But if I had to spin a story I'd guess that the isopods were too small, too hard, tasted bad, hid too much, or the tarantulas weren't accustomed to isopods for dinner and didn't recognize them specifically as food.

You probably don't need to worry. But, if you're really paranoid or have some good reason for being suspicious, just set up a separate isopod cage for them alone, and raise them by themselves for a while. After 4 to 6 weeks they will almost surely have cleansed themselves of most pesticides (if there were any to begin with), and any that were grievously ill from parasites and diseases would either have died or prevailed over the infection.

Enjoy your little 10-legged bug-tanks!
:worship: Thanks alot Stan, it really helped.

@Meezerkoko they are currently in moist dirt with old leaves, like how i found them. I will change that to more suitable substrate. They eat decaying material right? So apple remains, dog food, leaves, etc should be fine? Thanks for links!

---------- Post added 03-07-2013 at 07:00 PM ----------

This should fine, right? Thanks again for fast answers!

Meezerkoko

Arachnoknight
That looks perfect actually. They love fruits and veggies (I've heard they LOVE pumpkin, and also watermellon rinds) and high quality dog food crushed up in a bag and then sprinkled.

I don't actually have isos but I will soon and I've done tons of research. I've got tons of springtails though. Relatively similar care (at least in the tank).

---------- Post added 03-07-2013 at 12:26 PM ----------

Ohhh one thing about the apple. Make sure that there are no seeds left. They actually contain some cyanide. Not enough to hurt us, however if they eat it (if it doesn't kill them) and your T were to snack on one I don't know the outcome but I wouldn't chance it. So never feed feeders apple seeds (or cherry seeds, peach or apricot pits either for that matter).

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Ohhh one thing about the apple. Make sure that there are no seeds left. They actually contain some cyanide. Not enough to hurt us, however if they eat it (if it doesn't kill them) and your T were to snack on one I don't know the outcome but I wouldn't chance it. So never feed feeders apple seeds (or cherry seeds either for that matter).

humm, wow, didn't knew that, i was putting whole apples sliced in my dubia colonies for, like, forever and never had any problems. they just don't eat seeds. i agree better safe than sorry with stuff like that!

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Most isopods will breed based on food availability IME but if you are thinking of adding them to tarantula tanks two species I would be wary of introducing into the tank are Porcellio scaber, (Common rough woodlouse), Armadillidium vulgare (Common pill woodlice) as I've witnessed these two species actively attack and feed on maimed/ leaking prey and I'm sure if a T was molting they would happily have a go at it. I used to keep them in with my Carabidae beetles and they would fight over food items I think the fact they have extra defense compared to your regular isopods gives them an added bravery factor.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Most isopods will breed based on food availability IME but if you are thinking of adding them to tarantula tanks two species I would be wary of introducing into the tank are Porcellio scaber, (Common rough woodlouse), Armadillidium vulgare (Common pill woodlice) as I've witnessed these two species actively attack and feed on maimed/ leaking prey and I'm sure if a T was molting they would happily have a go at it. I used to keep them in with my Carabidae beetles and they would fight over food items I think the fact they have extra defense compared to your regular isopods gives them an added bravery factor.
mine look EXACTLY like these: http://www.edupic.net/Images/Science/isopods_wood_lice_pill_bugs03.JPG, not like those you listed(i google image'd them)
location i got them: Croatia, eastern europe

are these ok?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
General rule of thumb: avoid feeding any fruit seed although some may be harmless. Many have toxins as a method of protecting it during the germination process.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon