Orbweaver ID

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Not sure at a glance, but I think I may be able to dig a little. The ocular area is protruding quite significantly, that should at least get me a genus. It definitely has other distinct features, the anterior abdomen setae is quite thick.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Not too sure, but definitely a unique looking spider!

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
That is a cool Orbweaver, not exactly sure what genus it belongs to but others could help answer that, nice pics.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I couldn't find anything that really matched that heavily protruding ocular area and heavy abdominal setae. I checked the clades that would seem to make the most sense based on its morphology, but just couldn't find anything that made sense.

Your best bet is to hope someone chimes in who recognizes it, or try and find someone in Malaysia who works with spiders.

mindstorm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I couldn't find anything that really matched that heavily protruding ocular area and heavy abdominal setae. I checked the clades that would seem to make the most sense based on its morphology, but just couldn't find anything that made sense.

Your best bet is to hope someone chimes in who recognizes it, or try and find someone in Malaysia who works with spiders.
Thanks for the detailed description and effort to ID it, Ciphor. After much browsing, I think it belongs to the Parawixia genus. Lots of photos on google image to compare and it certainly looks a lot like them.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the detailed description and effort to ID it, Ciphor. After much browsing, I think it belongs to the Parawixia genus. Lots of photos on google image to compare and it certainly looks a lot like them.
Very nice, I agree with you, Parawixia looks like a match! All the spiders listed in the genus show the same strongly protruding ocular area. I didn't find any with long anterior setae on the abdomen, so that feature might be key to your species. I did find a publicly available paper with species keys by Levi on biostar http://biostor.org/reference/614 but its Americas species, so probably wont help with your Malaysian spider.

Hope you figure out the species tho, your definitely on the right path and found a good suspect for the genus. That paper by Levi is worth a read, might give you some hints on how to ID yours.