Live birth! I tell ya, it's underated...

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One of my hissers is about to give birth! I just watched the ootheca extend from her body; soon it'll turn brown, and she'll have begat many nymphs...

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Only a guy would start a message with such a sentiment!
:}
Seriously, though, good luck with your babies-to-be.

JOANIE

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From what I know they 'give birth' to the ootheca, then retract (sp?) it into their body and when they are ready to hatch she gives birth to them for the second time, If so, you might have to wait a while for your babies.
Hissers are way cool, we keep some at school, and they are breeding fine, lots of youngsters (even though it is not nearly as hot as is indicated to be breeding-temp for this species). I'm about the only one who will take them out of their enclosures, others are groced out by them...:D

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by ArachnoJoost
From what I know they 'give birth' to the ootheca, then retract (sp?) it into their body and when they are ready to hatch she gives birth to them for the second time, If so, you might have to wait a while for your babies.

Aw, Joost-:(

You mean I have to wait for my babylings to hatch!?

I just scanned Dr. Bullington's page (http://www.key-net.net/users/swb/pet_arthropod/), and I'm confused as to how long it takes for them to hatch.

60 days?!

P.S.- you spelled "retract" correctly!:)

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by johns
Aw, Joost-:(

I just scanned Dr. Bullington's page (http://www.key-net.net/users/swb/pet_arthropod/), and I'm confused as to how long it takes for them to hatch.

60 days?!

P.S.- you spelled "retract" correctly!:)
Hey Johns,

Very good page there, immediately bookmarked it! :)
I've checked on other websites, one other also said it was 60 days gestation, one said it was 30 days. It will also have a lot to do with the temperatures. How long it may be: it's worth it!
Thanx for the spelling-remark (and I know I spelled 'thanx' wrong...:D ).
How many hissers do you have? Think we have about 15 adults at school (and a lot more babies), and 1 dominant male, that means: one male that is a lot larger than all the others, with awesome 'horns' and antennae. Don't think that is typical of this species (the dominancy of one male that is).
Good luck with your preggie female ;)
Joost