what temps do you no longer need a heat pack?

Tman86

Arachnosquire
At what point do you no longer need a heat pack when shipping Tarantulas? At what temp will you be harming the T with too much heat from adding a heat pack and at what temp is it too cold where you definitely need a heat pack?

FearNot

Arachnosquire
It's actually interesting you should bring this up, because I was just reading this article from jamiestarantulas.com regarding shipping in different weather conditions.

http://jamiestarantulas.blogspot.com/2013/04/addressing-elephant-in-room.html

She talks about it being easier to ship during the winter because the temperatures are more consistent. Although of course you have to use heat packs during these months, so that doesn't really answer your question.

I don't breed tarantulas, so I've never tried to deal with shipping, but given a tarantulas normal temperature tolerance, I would think now in the Spring would be preferable to the Summer. Summer temps at night, depending where you ship to, can be very pleasent, but the day times might be dangerous to a creature trapped in a bottle within a box with no way to hide from being baked.

Spring day temperatures are pleasent, but the nights might still be nippy. You could throw in a heatpack for the cold nights without it making it too hot in the day.

Since most Ts seem comfortable with temps anywhere from 60-80F, I would assume anything below about 45-50F would demand a heat pack in order to survive, but I wouldn't personally risk letting it get much lower than 55F.

If a heat pack seems extreme, you could just try insulating the container really well. *shrug* I wish I could be more help!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it varies from deal to deal IME... just all depends on your current temps, and more importantly, the recipients current highs and lows. Just one of the many reasons communication can make or break an awesome deal!

Tman86

Arachnosquire
Well it will be around 70 during the day and a low of about 60 from me to the recipient so I was just curious if it drops to say 58 would it need a heat pack and if it hits 70 during the day will it get to hot with a heat pack? I was thinking 60 was fine since it will be in an insulated box so it should stay a litter warmer anyways. Its supposed to be 57 Sunday night so I think I'm going to pack thermometers in two boxes one with a pack and one without and monitor temps throughout the night and day to get a better idea what the temps will reach inside the box.

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
I don't have any experience packing Ts myself, but I wouldn't use a heat pack for a low of 57. I've worn a T-shirt in that kind of weather, I honestly can't see it being an issue for the Ts.

I'd say wait at least until its 40 or below, because I've felt those heat packs after shipping and they get HOT. I wouldn't want a T trapped in a box with that when the temperature is high. 70 probably doesn't seem high to you, but it would definitely seem high if you were in a container with very little ventilation!

You should try e-mailing some of the big dealers to get their opinion, though. They've got the most experience and they probably all have rules of their own that they follow.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
if temps are in the 70s with lows of 60s or 58, i personally would skip a heat pack (unless of course, the recipient asked for one)
I would suggest adding one if shipping PRIORITY, however i would use a piece of styrofoam or something to separate the pack from the t.. maybe just wrap it up in newspaper and tape it. We all know how weather is subject to change!

---------- Post added 04-06-2013 at 09:41 AM ----------

also, i just wanted to add that lately ive been using 18hr "hand warmers" from a walmart/fred meyers as heatpacks.

They dont get quite as warm as the uni-heat brand heatpacks, but they do the job. I find the residual heat (after the pack fizzles out) is plenty enough to last during an express shipping.. PLUS they only cost like 1.50$