Scolopendra ID ?

Juky

Arachnopeon
Can anyone please ID this specimen ?
size - about 3 inches
This is my first pede, I just need to be sure. Suspect Scolopendra morsitans.
Thanks

scolopendra01.jpg

scolopendra02.jpg

scolopendra03.jpg

Nanotrev

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can anyone please ID this specimen ?
size - about 3 inches
This is my first pede, I just need to be sure. Suspect Scolopendra morsitans.
Thanks
It's a beautiful centipede is what it is. I do second your ID though, but I can't be completely sure.

Insektzuchen

Arachnosquire
This Is Why We Love Centipedes

I agree that that's an extremely attractive centipede. I'm guessing it's a Trachycormacephalus or the ultra-rare African Green & Peach Tiger. Lol.

Cheers.

Last edited:

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats an amazing color for that pede! The red "accent" the yellow "plates... so neat!

How Big is it?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I've looked at scores of centipede photos but have never seen anything quite like that...any idea of collection data?

Insektzuchen

Arachnosquire
African Green & Peach Tiger

If you check out www.bugginout.4t.com they have a photo of the African Green & Peach Tiger. There is a very close resemblance to the one on here. The site has been shut down for years so don't get all excited.

Juky

Arachnopeon
The guys selling these were selling them on an expo as Scolopendra morsitans, 25eur.
Maybe some weird color form ?

here is one S. morsitans saying hi to it's owner
pede.jpg

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Juky, I had one that was identical to your most recent pic and it was S. morsitans.

Insektzuchen, This one?: http://www.bugginout.4t.com/photo.html...Very different in coloration but rarely is that useful in an ID. Here's a key for the Scolopendra genus and one for other genera if you want to play detective, Juky:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?187323-Keys-to-Scolopendromorpha-genera

I think Trachycormocephalus has been made a junior synonym of Scolopendra but this is just what I gather from Chilobase & : http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00222938600770771#preview

Either way, a smart looking suit on that one!

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don`t agree with Scolopendra morsitans. I think, it is something very special!

The green and peach tiger centipedes is a common colouration of Scolopendra morsitans from different african countries, but the specimen in your pic looks different!

Let me check before I write down my guess...

Nanotrev

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don`t agree with Scolopendra morsitans. I think, it is something very special!

The green and peach tiger centipedes is a common colouration of Scolopendra morsitans from different african countries, but the specimen in your pic looks different!

Krabbelspinne is here! Behold, for we may all know very shortly! I myself am anxious to see. :)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer

Color me intrigued in peach and green;) Would love to hear what you may come up with...

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
This is an old thread and I'm sure I'm too late to be helpful but if you look super close at the structure of the first and last tergites of the trunk closely you can see they are shaped identically to Cingulata. Now that is obviously no definitive way to say it's a North African Cingulata (that region specifically is what I'm betting) but through further investigation I have noticed many other defining traits. Look at the structure of the cephalic plate where the antennae connect closely and then notice the anterior transverse suture is not super visible which is a good hint at Cingulata. Some more evidence I found was on the terminal legs at the prefemerol spines and the prefemerol process. They match Cingulata as well from what I can see but that part of the photo is a little fuzzy. Also the "at rest" angle of the maxillapedes along with the over all structure of them really points at Cingulata too. The spiracle placement and structure matches too but that is the same amongst a ton of species, still a clue none the less. I know of a similar CF of Cingulata that I actually have but mine lacks the red stripes. The North African ones tend to max out at 3.5"-5" although both mine are under 5". Anyway that's my take on it after spending the last 3 hours looking at various pede species super closely and looking up taxinomical keys to Cingulata as well as 7 other North African species. Too bad I wasn't a member back when this was posted. I am by no means an expert but I did take a long time attempting to key out your specimen and truely believe it to be some type of Cingulata, which veriaty I'm unsure. Knowing the location of collection would help 100% pinpoint it but I'm sure that's lost information. Sorry I couldn't help sooner.

Nanotrev

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was actually going to agree. It definitely looks like Cingulata. There's a photographer on Deviantart who is in love with that species. One has to remember to look at structure and not just color, as I'm sure many here know.

Edit- Here he is!
http://bullter.deviantart.com/
Page 12 of his "Macro" section. :)

Last edited: