How long can a brood be kept together(Emperors)

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
I don't go to this forum often but...
I have had a bunch of emperor scorps living with their mom for over 6 months now and have had (as far as I can tell) no fatalities due to cannibalism or at all for that matter. The mother still seems protective of her young and is well mannered as far as sharing space goes.
They are in a 25 gallon tank and I think there are 8 to 10 young. I have lots of hiding spaces for them and the little ones are growing like weeds. The largest of them being about 3 inches. They seem to molt all the time.
Do I need seperate them soon? Will they have separation anxiety or any thing
that stresses them too much?
Any help would be grand.
J

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
P.imperator is quite communal and it may very well be possible to keep them together for life and end up with overlapping generations and everything. That being said, you may eventually have an issue as the males get larger -- especially when they mature. It is quite natural to have several related females together, but less so to have males involved.

Cheers,
Dave

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dave,
Thank you very much for your info. I would trust your opinion over every one I know around here. They all had a different answere, none of them positive either.
One more though. What is the average life span of P.imperator ?
My largest male just died after I had him 4 years and I got him at full size.
I would have to say with his tail outstreched he was 7 or 8 inches. Never molted either.
Thanks again, Cheers!
J

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
The general guidelines for P.imperator longevity is 6-8 years. That being said, there is an estimate of 12 years based on reproductive potential -- you can take that for what it is worth.

Cheers,
Dave

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you again Dave.
I thought that scoripion was pretty old but 7-8 years... With all my newbies That sounds awsome. {D
I should have scorpions for a long time!