Looking for pictures of tarantula burrows in the wild.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd really like to see some pictures of the kind of places my South American terrestial Ts live in the wild. I'm particularly interested in the burrows of wild G.rosea, B.smithi, B.vagans. Can anyone recommend a web site or book that I might check out? I can't quite afford the plane fare to see for myself yet.

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This could turn out to be an interesting thread...
There are a few pics on this page from the American Tarantula Society, and I also remember having seen some with Rick West, don't remember where.

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Dunno if this is what you are looking for but...

<Pictures Removed - MrD>

Last edited by a moderator:

Windycity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's a link to some pics of a few Megaphobema mesomelas I found on a trip to Costa Rica last year. Beautiful tarantulas in their native habitat.

<click here>

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Those M.mesomela are gorgeous. Really dramatic markings. You're very lucky to see this stuff first hand.

I'm amazed at how hard it is to find reference pics of the wild burrows of the popular S.American terrestrial species. Anyone know why? Or am I just being stupid?

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Windycity said:
Here's a link to some pics of a few Megaphobema mesomelas I found on a trip to Costa Rica last year. Beautiful tarantulas in their native habitat.

<click here>
I remember this thread. It has put this species in #1 of my wish-list. Still haven't found any decent-priced one here....thought they seem to be not-so rare.

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
genious_gr said:
I remember this thread. It has put this species in #1 of my wish-list. Still haven't found any decent-priced one here....thought they seem to be not-so rare.
M. mesomelas has been the #1 in my wishlist too for some time..
I should be getting 3 of them from http://shop.exoticspider.de/ (click on "vogelspinnen" to get the updated pricelist)

Oh and there is a .mov video clip of M. mesomelas on Hays' Tarantula Page

Last edited:

Steve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,
on my page you found another "story" about birdspiders(Ephebopus sp.) in there habitat! A friend wrote this article for me.

KLICK HERE

Regards,
Steffen