My setup

ArNT1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just want to tell you about my plans for a Hadrurus A. setup.
I have a about 30 gallon tank which I have have built a fake rock background in. I'm also gonna build a hideout on the left side. The hideout will have 3 or more hiding places. That will also use a lot of space so the scorpion have a more easy job finding food.
I'm trying to make the tank as close to the scorpion's natural habitat as possible :) .
BTW: I have never had a scorpion before.

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
If you are going for natural, then the big question is what kind of substrate you are going to use and how deep it will be?

Cheers,
Dave

ArNT1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I'm not sure because I haven't had any experience with keeping scorpions :? . Do anyone have a suggestion? :rolleyes:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I suggest you use the search function to look through past posts in this forum. H.arazonensis substrate issues have been repeatedly covered.

Cheers,
Dave

ArNT1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks...
I think I'm going for 70/30 sand and peat and have it about 10 - 15 cm deep. :)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
ArNT1 said:
Thanks...
I think I'm going for 70/30 sand and peat and have it about 10 - 15 cm deep. :)
Sounds good to me. :)

Cheers,
Dave

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dont use too much sand, i just found out, after redoing my H Spadix tank, more dirt is better as it holds together better, easier to burrow in, i havnt seen my female in 3 weeks since she burrowed, before that she was hiding on the surface, id say 2/3rds dirt 1/3rd sand, thats just my humble opinion though

Wolvie

ArNT1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just wanted to post a picture of my terrarium... It's a work in progress... :}

Attachments

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dam* nice!!!
Keep us updated, please.

Alexander

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is an amazing setup! Please, explain how you built the rock background as it is stunning!

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Looks like you are constructing one awsome setup...can't wait to see it once you get the sand/substrate into it.

One cautionary note...since it appears you have 'rock' up the backside; make sure your lid is tightfitting and secure as your Hadrurus may be able to climb it.

John
];')

Yve

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd like to hear how you constructed the fake rock as well....could that be a paper mache over chicken wire? It looks really good! While on the topic of constructing enclosures...what is a strong binder for slate...would aquarium silicone do the trick?

Critterfarm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yve said:
While on the topic of constructing enclosures...what is a strong binder for slate...would aquarium silicone do the trick?
Aquarium silicone *kinda* works if you're sticking the slate to the glass. It won't hold any weight though. It works for a little while on slate-to-slate applications, but it comes apart after it fully dries out (a few months in a desert tank, probably longer in a tropical tank) .

What was reccomended to me by maintenance personnel at the national zoo's reptile house was to drill the stone, insert silicone or epoxy into the hole and use a small nylon dowel as an anchor between 2 rocks, one end inserted into each stone. This is likely alot harder than it sounds though :?

EDIT: Almost forgot...I too a dying to know how you made the rock landscape

Last edited:

ArNT1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First of all: thanks {D

The fake rock background and modules are very easy to make...

I used styrofoam for the general form of the rock. I did not use too much time on getting the right shape because that would have made it too "perfect"...
Anyway: after cutting the styrofoam in the general shape I wanted it to be, I glued it with wood-glue actually. As long as the glue is not toxic. Silicon would not stick to the styrofoam very well so I would not recommend it...
After I glued the styrofoam I used filler to cover it. I used quite much; 4 - 5 litres of filler...
After it has dried I painted it :)
Thats how easy it was ;)

Feel free to ask questions if something is unclear...

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
ArNT1 said:
I used filler to cover it.
Feel free to ask questions if something is unclear...
I have a question. When you say "filler," what exactly do you mean?

Cheers,
Dave

ArNT1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The stuff they sometimes use between bricks... :)
It probably has another name, but that's what I ment.

Last edited:

ArNT1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:
Mortar. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
Dave
Found the name for the stuff; polyfiller. :p
Does that ring a bell? :}