Poecilotheria fasciata, "Is it priced right?"

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Today on the way home from work I stopped at the exotics pet store to pick up some T-food. On the way to the back I noticed they had a new addition for sale, a Poecilotheria fasciata. It was every bit 7-8". Ive never seen a pokie that big. The owner said he was selling it for $130.00 with the kritter keeper it was in.
No I didn't ask what sex it was (like a dummy) guess I was just so dumfounded with its size and bright color pattern, it was really beautiful, Just the body itself was well over 4". What a beauty! But the price?????

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
only problem i see is the age of the spider..... Poecilotheria do not live as lang as Brachypelma... fhy not get a youg fasciata, they grow fast enough!

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Personally, having paid a mere £12 ($21) for a 4" juvenille P. fasciata at last year's BTS show, I would never dream of paying $130 (£73) for a full grown one, no matter how big it was. They're not exactly rare. Besides, the pokes grow pretty damn fast, so you could buy a sling for pennies, and have a full grown adult within a year or so. My fasciata, and in fact all of my poke slings are growing like weeds!

Plus, as Eddie has already stated, you've no idea how old it is. It might have only a couple of months left in it.

I would seriously consider spending your hard-earned cash on something more worthwhile :)

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks guys, I have litte knowledge of pokies and spent half the night reading up on them. I had no idea they grew so fast. Think Ill wait awhile before I jump into the pokie craze, I was just awestruck with how colorful it was. Not to mention its size.
Thanks again for the info.....