Feeding frequency for small slings

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lately i've been feeding my G.pulchra sling 1-2 smallish crickets a week (he's 1.5 inches or so) and I have th efeeling if i put a third in there he'd eat it. However i'm kindof wondering if its healthy to stuff him like that. as best i can tell (he's underground) his abdomen is fairly well filled as it is

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont thimk it would hurt to feed it a little more...they will only eat what they want...and as slings I think they should be fed more often then adults or juvies...I have a parahybana 2 inch sling and I feed it every 3 days...

Regards, Mike :}

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it's looking porky, I wouldn't bother feeding it again until it's either moulted or looks slimmer. Personally I don't like overly fat, "big butt" spiders as I don't feel it is beneficial to the spider's health, and may even lead to complications with moulting or moving around.

I feed my spiderlings probably once or twice a week maximum, although they can go for lots longer without food. I have no real feeding rota. I just feed them as and when really.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I feed most of my smaller slings every other day... the ones I really want to grow I feed daily as long as they'll take it.

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My 1.5" G. rosea sling has only eaten 2 times since I have had him, I think it's goign on a month and a half now. Albeit, they were big crickets. I had another cricket in his cage for a couple days, but it ended up dying so I tossed it. My sling is still nice and plump. If he starts to get a little thin, I'll throw more in there for him. He seems to be doing fine as he is. Still running machine.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mine doesnt seem to have any trouble getting around, he comes out to explore (and dashes for his burrow) quite easily.

Right now he's got a big fat black spot on his butt, isn't that a sign of upcoming mollt?

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I have no set feeding schedule for mine. They get fed the same frequency as my larger T's. Usually every week, occasionally biweekly. They may not grow as fast as those that reside with people who feed more often, but I'm not concerned with that.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well considering by al li've heard these pulchras are slow growers as it is, i'd kinda like to give him a nudge in the "grow faster" direction

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Give a nudge in the 'grow faster' direction also gives a nudge in the 'die faster' direction. ;)

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Fenris said:
Give a nudge in the 'grow faster' direction also gives a nudge in the 'die faster' direction. ;)
Has this been confirmed or something that's been floating around in the hobby and generally taken as gospel?

According to Marshall "... you cannot feed a tarantula spiderling too much, they will eat far more often than they will when adult" and "... feed them as often as they will eat."
Both quotes taken from pg 87 of his book "Tarantulas and Other Arachnids"