Goliath Birdeater feeding today!! WOW !!!

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Today I went to Petco to buy some crickets and had thought about how many crickets the Goliath Birdeater would have to eat to be satisfied. So I purchased a single white mouse. As soon as I dropped it into the cage the mouse ran over to the back side of the Goliath Birdeater while in it's cave. Then the mouse ran away. As soon as the mouse hit the other side of the enclosure, all I saw was a big brown flying object! This freakin thing flew in air all the way across the 24" enclosure and hopped on this little mouse. Took sveral good injections and then the mouse stopped moving. Then the Goliath Birdeater dragged it into his burrow. I will be watching frequently and occasionally to make sure everyhting is ok.

I was afraid of buying mice for the Goiath Birdeater due to bites from the mice. When I used to feed the mice to my Ball Python, I noticed once in awhile they would try to bite the snake on its side. I was afraid the spider would be more harmed from a bite by the mouse. But I guess I was too over worried.

I wish I could post pics but my cam crashed today!

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That must have been quite impressive to see!!!

I myself feed a lot of vertebrates to my Ts, I prefer using younger mice and rats though to prevent an injury.

I give my juvies / sub-adults (2 1/2" or more) small pinky mice.

My sub-adults / adults (3 1/2" or more) big pinky mice or small fuzzy mice or rat pinkies.

My large adults (5" or more) get plump fuzzy rats.

A nice fat fuzzy rat is almost the size of a small adult mouse so I prefer offering those instead of older and more developped prey just to be safe.

I have yet to have a T refuse any and it's a nice filling variety item to their diets. My goliath now 4 1/2" just plows right through them!

Pixie

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i woulda liked to see that... i never get sick of watching my t's eat.. remember though, mice and rats can be vicious suckers if you upset them and will bite.. i'd say your better off feeding a lizard of some sort with some meat on it... how big is the blondi? i'm dying to get a big one...

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
T. blondi

Right now it's about 6". As of this morning,,,,it's still sucking on the mouse. It's hovering over it while holding itself on it's tippie toes.

MatthewBerfield

Arachnopeon
I also have a Goliath Birdeater, and i feed mine mice all the time....
is yours a male or female? and how big is yours? :)

Abraxis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ChrisNCT said:
Right now it's about 6". As of this morning,,,,it's still sucking on the mouse. It's hovering over it while holding itself on it's tippie toes.
That is how my T. blondi sling eats it's crickets... it is neat to watch them exhibit behaviors...

Peace Out

Ken

jayco_heat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ChrisNCT said:
Yeah, wow is right. I'm convinced....B. Smithi it is. I'm going to get one by mid july.

MatthewBerfield

Arachnopeon
jayco_heat said:
Yeah, wow is right. I'm convinced....B. Smithi it is. I'm going to get one by mid july.

If your talking about getting a birdeater make sure it is a female, don't waste ur money on a male birdeater, :)

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My is still small but it's a problem to feed her. She eats many crickets at one time and she's still hungry.

MatthewBerfield

Arachnopeon
morda said:
My is still small but it's a problem to feed her. She eats many crickets at one time and she's still hungry.

Try feeding it some pinkies, they are a bigger meal than crickets.

I feed my birdeater mice like i said before but then again my birdeater is 12" so yeah she likes a big meal... :D

Nevans

Arachnopeon
I also have a Goliath about 5 or 6 inches and it takes down fuzzies with no problem. There was one time I was feeding it a fuzzie when the mouse got close to her and she whipped around and snatched it up by it's back end and the mouse was trying to turn around and bite her but she held her ground and kept her legs out of it's way. Then about a minute later the mouse was dead as a doornail. So I think if you have a good sized Goliath fuzzies shouldn't be a problem. Peace

MatthewBerfield

Arachnopeon
Well see i feed my birdeater full grown mice, you should try it when your birdeater gets to be about 8" or 9" they love it

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Nevans said:
I also have a Goliath about 5 or 6 inches and it takes down fuzzies with no problem. There was one time I was feeding it a fuzzie when the mouse got close to her and she whipped around and snatched it up by it's back end and the mouse was trying to turn around and bite her but she held her ground and kept her legs out of it's way. Then about a minute later the mouse was dead as a doornail. So I think if you have a good sized Goliath fuzzies shouldn't be a problem. Peace
a mouse AND a fuzzie at the same time? i doubt the fuzzie would add much to the meal after a mouse...unless it was leftovers from another T

FelixA9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MatthewBerfield said:
Try feeding it some pinkies, they are a bigger meal than crickets.

I feed my birdeater mice like i said before but then again my birdeater is 12" so yeah she likes a big meal... :D

12"??? Any chance we could get some pictures? It's not that I'm doubting you I'd just like to see what a 12" Goliath looks like.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
That is awesome!!

My female birdeater is the same way!! I always feed her a step up from the fuzzys. You have to watch them though, the fuzzies can and will bite. The way I prevent it is by holding it by its tale, and pluck it in the head just once.
Just enough to stun it, and that is it! Then, I will drop it in there. It will walk around, kinda dazed, then BAM!!!! She has her meal, w/ no attacking of teeth!!

It is very cool. It usually takes her about 12-18 hours or more, depending on
how large the mouse is :)

I LOVE to watch :D

hehe

Zorack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmm mine escaped this morning im pulling my hair out trying to find it

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I as well would like to see pics of a 12 inch T.blondi, can you get a pic of the beast beside a ruler ??

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Don't you just love it Chris?? {D You'd think as many times as I feed mine, I'd get tired of seeing it...naw, no way! Hope your cam gets up and running...I'd like to see it! :cool: