B. baumgarteni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I'm really confused with this species? I bought twelve of this species under the name B. boehmei thru LLLreptile in February of this year. When I first saw the ad and picture thru LLLreptile I was 99 percent positive that it did not look like boehmei. So I bought all twelve that they had left. The one thing about this is out of the twelve there is at least 10 that are males and the rest females this male is the biggest out of the rest of them, he is about three too four inches. I have one 6" inch female baumgarteni and boehmei and I have been comparing all of them with one another and they are looking like baumgarteni. How can this be that this spider is popping up as boehmei? So I ask members on the boards is what is your opinions to this I'm really confused? I know it could have been mislabeled, someone hatched this species and thought it was boehmei not trying to confuse anyone but it is strange that this species is available this year I believe I bought them as 1" to 2" inches. I power feed my spiders so I grow them quickly this male has molted on me twice already since I got him the rest of them once. Sorry about my English in writing so bare with me. Ounce the other ones get bigger they will be sold as baumgarteni cause they do not look like boehmei to me at all! Here is a picture to this male that just molted today. Sorry one of the pictures is a little blurry.

Jose
www.exoskeletoninverts.com
support@exoskeletoninverts.com

Last edited:

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
you cant be sure with males, your only bet is to check spermathecae shape in females.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
What I it exactly that makes you think it is B. baumgarteni?
if i think right baumgartenis have darker carapace, while boehmeis have all orange with occasional semi-visible black triangle(something like reduced emilia stye)

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This pictures were taking outside in the natural sunlight. The picture on the top is B. boehmei that was taking a few years back she was recently molted and she was at 6" plus. The pictures on the bottom is a 6" inch female and next to her is the male that I purchased as boehmei. And the other eleven that are males and females are also looking like my female baumgarteni. So I can't imagine why this male would be considered a boehmei! I have purchased boehmei many times for the last 23 years males and females and never had a boehmei that looked like this one! I only wanted to share my story were I purchase them from, so people would be aware. At that time when I purchased this so called boehmei from LLLReptile they had only twelve of them left and I know they got more in! Wether they have the same batch from the ones I got, I do not know!

Jose

Last edited:

Novatsk

Arachnopeon
Doesnt look like any boehmie Ive seen my boehmie looks like your boehmie red from the patella down .. The orange is somewhat of an indicator ..another indicator is the orange swoosh on the metatarsus#2 on the right on your baumgarteni you can clearly see it .. But over all I think they might be a hybrid or full baumgarteni not a boehmie ..

Novatsk

Arachnopeon
Do you think you could post some photos of leg IV( the rear ones :p ) there should be a orange swoosh there and as far as the carapace goes there are dark forms and light forms of this species.. It is a possibility that it is a cross between smithi and boehmie but that was the original problem with this species .. No? I think they're baumgarteni.. I think we need someone to tell us where they came from :p

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Jose,
It looks like a baumgarteni to me (based solely on coloration:eek:).
Unfortunately it seems that female baumgarteni have never been described, but do you have a shot of one of spermathecae from one of those females anyway? I'd be curious to see if it's different from boemei.

I've found no evidence for the legitimacy of looking for the "swoosh" marks in the descriptions I've read for baumgarteni (or boehmei, for that matter), outside of this thread, so I wouldn't go by that.
Anyway, just in case you haven't read it, here's the description of a mature male baumgarteni.
Maybe after he dies you can find out for sure :)

Novatsk

Arachnopeon
Look up mantid .nl they have a comparison of most brachypelma Leg IV

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jose,
It looks like a baumgarteni to me (based solely on coloration:eek:).
Unfortunately it seems that female baumgarteni have never been described, but do you have a shot of one of spermathecae from one of those females anyway? I'd be curious to see if it's different from boemei.

I've found no evidence for the legitimacy of looking for the "swoosh" marks in the descriptions I've read for baumgarteni (or boehmei, for that matter), outside of this thread, so I wouldn't go by that.
Anyway, just in case you haven't read it, here's the description of a mature male baumgarteni.
Maybe after he dies you can find out for sure :)
I will as soon as my 6" inch female molts, I will post a picture on this same thread when the time comes. I will also take pictures of her front view, back view and side view as I will when my 6" inch female B. boehmei molts. Keep in mind that the male is only about 4" inches in size so it is starting to get more into detail of his marking it is still young to have the full marking of the female baumgarteni so as soon as he molts a few time I will also take pictures of him of Cephalothorax, Tarsus, Tibia, Patella etc. Now my other females that came in this group are obviously smaller so it will take some time before I decide to take pictures of them. I do have other males that are about the same size and others that are smaller that came from the same place as the male that you are able to see on the photo, so with them I have to wait a little bit more, to take photos of. So it is a time issue! I plan to take photo of them in one shot hopefully it works out. I did see the links you put up and my 6" inch female baumgarteni looks like the ones that a or some members put up my female has a lot of detail cause of the size that she is and so is my boehmei so bare with me until it is done. I will also have those photos on my website photo gallery for future members or non members to distinguish the difference between them. The cool thing about this I will be able to show photos of the baumgarteni and boehmei at 6" inches in size.

Jose

Last edited:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B. baumgarteni vs B. boehmei

Ok here we have 3.5" male baumgarteni and one 4" female boehmei. My 6" female boehmei it is going to molt by the end of this week or sometime next week. My 6" female baumgarteni is still not ready to molt. So cant put pictures of them just yet. So I will give this ones for now. Remember this two tarantulas are in the juvenile stage they are both in the process of getting the adult detail form. So i ask you guys and gals what is are your opinions? And I don't want to hear that the males are always going to be different than the females, I understand that the males are a lot better looking once they hit maturity. I know someone has a B. boehmei male that they could put a picture of, I unfortunately don't! I will post some other photos in a different post of both of this tarantulas.

Jose

Last edited:

Novatsk

Arachnopeon
Here's my male B. boehmie 4in (in premolt).. Not sure how great the quality of the photo is :/ I can't find my dslr charger Dx
Photo0247.jpg

Novatsk

Arachnopeon
Not a whole lot of difference on the carapace.. The main difference I see are on the patellas and the markings on the meta-tarsus.. I say there are probably a lot more baumgarteni in the hobby than people expect .. For example take take the A. geniculata and brocklehursti .. A LOT of people claim to have geniculatas but in reality they are mostly brocklehursti ..

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ironically I just started a thread with the same question. Here is the female I have.

I too am thinking this is baumgarteni. To me it looks identical to some of jose's.
The thread is here http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?249690-Mr.-Baumgarten-is-this-your-bug if anyone wants to see the other picture for more comparison.
Dave, can you tell me who did you buy it from? At what size did your spider get the black carapace? It is important to know where your spiders came from. I'm glad someone else has one identical as mine with the same story that the spider was sold as a boehmei! Dave, the spider you have is baumgarteni!

Jose

Status
Not open for further replies.