Isn't this an Avicularia avicularia

Jmmarich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am confused. I thought this was a Avicularia avicularia but I have also seen pictures of this spider (what I thought was this spider) called a P. Metallica. Can you explain the differences to me? Its hard to tell from the picture, but this one has long hairs that have little white tips on them if you will.

Thanks again,

Josh

Attachments

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer

Darwinsdad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
looks like one to me... we have 3 and they all look that nice iridesent blue with red rump after a molt so I am going to say yes

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that's defenitaly not an a. versicolor... it looks like a. avic but mine is a little darker though.. then again i haven't seen mine molt yet so i don't know what it would look like once it's post-molt... i don't own an a. metallica yet so i can't say for sure what it is but it does look like a bright colored avicularia avicularia

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
That is a Avicularia avicularia, versicolors have much more color. Good Luck,

James

Jmmarich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, I thought it was an avic avic. What are the differences between a P. Metallica and an avic avic? The picture I saw of the P Metallica looks identical to me. I can't seem to find a picture of one.

--Josh

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Jmmarich said:
Ok, I thought it was an avic avic. What are the differences between a P. Metallica and an avic avic? The picture I saw of the P Metallica looks identical to me. I can't seem to find a picture of one.

--Josh
You mean the A metallica?

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Tarantula Lover said:
That is a Avicularia avicularia, versicolors have much more color. Good Luck,

James
more color than that!?!?! whoa...gotta get me one of them sometime, the avic. avics i saw weren't that colorful at all. maybe it was the lighting or been sometime since a molt?

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It looks just like my avic avic and mine's about the same size too :)

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jmmarich said:

--Josh
Dont you mean A metallica. P matallica is a pokie.

Most likely your T is either A avic or A braunshauseni. It doesn't look like A metallica to me they are an overall blue colour with white hairs and very fluffy yours has red hairs.

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avicularia metallica has no red hairs on the abdomen. They also get larger than Avicularia avicularia.

Later,

Jake

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P.metallica is a spider in a totally different subfamily and genus bearing no resemblance to A.avicularia. The spider you are thinking of is A.metallica.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
JakeRocks: Well. Some hairs on that spider's abdomen appear to be red..?

JakeRocks & G_Wright: At least say 'What I percieve to be A. metallica..' or 'In my mind, A.metallica has..'. Very hard to be a standing stone in a foaming river if mostly everyone can't even see it's a river.

Jmmarich: Congratulations! You have an Avic that isn't a versicolor, and neither is it a minatrix. Shouldn't think it's an urticans either, but beyond that...

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
da_illest said:
that's defenitaly not an a. versicolor... it looks like a. avic but mine is a little darker though.. then again i haven't seen mine molt yet so i don't know what it would look like once it's post-molt... i don't own an a. metallica yet so i can't say for sure what it is but it does look like a bright colored avicularia avicularia
remember how just yesterday i said i didn't own an A. metallica yet?? well i have one now! lol.. it's far prettier then a. avicularia in my opinion but it's only around an inch or so and just molted yesterday.. i saw it a few days ago and it still had pink legs but now it's blue! crazy stuff..

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh.. how is a. metallica compared to a. avic in terms of tempermant?

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congratulations!

You have an Avicularia metallica/geroldi/braunshauseni/avicularia/avicularia vagriata/tesmoignti!

Seriously, there's a group of spiders that's in a taxonomic mess. Anyone that would assert to know what you have based on a photo (or often times in their very hand) isn't going on solid info.

-Garrick

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't claim to be a taxonomist either, but my A avic doesn't have any red on his abdomen.

Jeri

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My A. avic does. It's not red on the abodomen, but on the hairs on the sides. They are only visible in the light.

xalbinox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My A. avic. indeed does have a redish abdomen with a mettalic bluishgreen body definatly not a P. or A. mettalica pic of P mettalica posted

Attachments