The spider that throws a web net on its prey...

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Some type of net casting spider (Deinopis sp?)

---------- Post added 05-28-2013 at 05:45 AM ----------

Here's on catching a fly, also go by the common name 'ogre spider' if you wanna run a search on the net and come up short.

http://youtu.be/_peM31m5HFA

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Mello,

it's a Deinopis species, also known as "ogre-faced spiders".

Very interesting animals, when i remember this right, one species of the genus is also distributed within the US.

Deinopis @ BugGuide

Regards,

Stefan

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have a fair few of them here in Australia. Very interesting spiders. Bigger than I had expected too.

Mello

ArachnoQUEEN
Awesome! Thanks everyone! I'm going to try to find one for sale now! Such an amazing spider!

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Good luck! :)

Unfortunately they are rather rarely found in the hobby :( While there would definitely be some interest from many keepers to get hold of Deinopis spec., specimens of this genus are apparently often hard to locate in their natural habitat.

Have seen them once available here years ago - very limited numbers from Kenya. Fortunately one of the wc-females built a sac at the guy who had bought her and he managed to get a fair amount of offspring from that, so the species was around for a short-time.
The slings were not that hard to keep alive, but unfortunately no one was able to breed the species in captive care, so it vanished again.

Had often been demanded to get imported again, but the collectors in the field had never been able to find specimens. These spiders are incredibly well camouflaged in their natural environment.

Stefan

My former specimens:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?72374-Ogre-faced-babies-(Deinopis-spec.)&highlight=ogre-faced

Mello

ArachnoQUEEN
Wow you had some beautiful ogre faced spiders! I'm definitely jealous! If I remember correctly you have also had/have phoneutria sp. My two dream spiders! I am already in the process of getting a phoneutria but it doesn't sound likely i will be able to obtain a deinopis.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thank you!

I'm deeper into ctenids, including Phoneutria. Given your location, it should be much easier to get hold of Deinopis, than of Phoneutria, though. Several board-members here seem to have at least a good idea and some motivation to go out collecting and they're also in the right state and seem to be experienced with field-collecting. Why not shoot one of them a mail or pm? ;)

Best of luck!

Stefan

Mello

ArachnoQUEEN
Thank you!

I'm deeper into ctenids, including Phoneutria. Given your location, it should be much easier to get hold of Deinopis, than of Phoneutria, though. Several board-members here seem to have at least a good idea and some motivation to go out collecting and they're also in the right state and seem to be experienced with field-collecting. Why not shoot one of them a mail or pm? ;)

Best of luck!

Stefan
For the deinopis? Or the phoneutria? Here in nevada fish and game doesn't require anything to get a venomous specie.

But yea I agree to get some ideas of where to field collect here would be amazing!

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For the deinopis? Or the phoneutria? Here in nevada fish and game doesn't require anything to get a venomous specie.

But yea I agree to get some ideas of where to field collect here would be amazing!
Deinopis should be much easier to get hold of than Phoneutria, as Phoneutria is only distributed in South-America, with one species also known to occur in some Central-American countries.
Deinopis however is a native to the US with one species :)

Check the pictures in the posted bugguide-link, especially, where those photographed specimen have been found in FL. That'd be the first step to get an idea where to look for them.

As NV is quite a far distance from FL you may perhaps also consider to try get in touch with persons that are 1.) native in FL and 2.) like to go out "bug hunting", these would be prime-candidates for first inquiries.
Look in my old thread about my former specimens, one AB-user that is based in FL had already offered back then to keep his eyes peeled in nature for this species.
While several years have passed since then it probably will not hurt to just see if he would possibly be willing and able to offer you any help with your interest in this species.

If that won't work, just check back and i'll gladly share some other ideas ;)

Good luck!

Stefan

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
We have a pretty cool looking species in the south, wouldn't mind getting my hands on a breeding pair. I believe they are most commonly found around the same area in the panhandle where you would find Sphodros abboti. Cool thing about bugguide is, all the image submissions have a pretty accurate location including if its a park/reserve, which county, etc. I also heard Lady Lake is a pretty good spot, they like to hunt about 1-2 miles away from bodies of water.

Deinopis spinosa - Ogrefaced spider
http://bugguide.net/node/view/26287/bgimage

---------- Post added 05-28-2013 at 03:34 PM ----------

Lol didn't read the thread before responding, but looks like we were thinking the same thing Stefan :)

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
We have a pretty cool looking species in the south, wouldn't mind getting my hands on a breeding pair. I believe they are most commonly found around the same area in the panhandle where you would find Sphodros abboti. Cool thing about bugguide is, all the image submissions have a pretty accurate location including if its a park/reserve, which county, etc. I also heard Lady Lake is a pretty good spot, they like to hunt about 1-2 miles away from bodies of water.

Deinopis spinosa - Ogrefaced spider
http://bugguide.net/node/view/26287/bgimage

---------- Post added 05-28-2013 at 03:34 PM ----------

Lol didn't read the thread before responding, but looks like we were thinking the same thing Stefan :)
Hi there,

don't worry, Ciphor, no harm taken :)

In fact, good to read that even you'd been interested and considering to try to breed your native species in captive care.

I think it's not that difficult to get a general idea about where to start looking for them, as the two of us seem to agree. More tricky may be to get hold of someone that has his "boots on the ground" in the general area and may have also some interest and experience with "bug hunting".
Have to state the obvious, but i'm located in Europe, so at another continent - nevertheless it took me not longer than 15 minutes of "google-research" to come up with three names of persons that are based in FL and seem to be a good start to inquire of possibly obtaining some wc-specimens :)

While i, personally, wouldn't consider to get through the hassles of legal exporting this species from the US by now, i'd definitely consider trying to get hold of it, if i'd were an US-resident. The odds don't seem too bad to me :)

And while i'm at it and as i recognize that you, Ciphor, seem also to have a taste for "special" spiders that not necessarily need to be extremely large or extremely dangerous, if you should consider my suggestion, to get some knowledgeable folks in FL involved, i'd also add an inquiry about Scytodes globula and S. longipes to it ;)

Best of luck!

Stefan

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Ogre-faced spiders are one of my favorite species. never seen one in person, though.

Those HUGE eyes, man.