Six-Legged Giant Finds Secret Hideaway, Hides For 80 Years

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This species managed to survive with a meager amount of resources available to sustain itself on. The odds were against it, yet life persisted. I think it's inspiring. In much the same way, I marvel at the biodiversity you can find in a patch of woods in the city, or even under a log in your back yard.

If a relict population of stick insects can survive on a shrub in the middle of the ocean, just imagine what species might benefit if we preserve an acre here, an acre there, plant with native species, establish wildlife corridors, and not bulldoze every available acre in the interest of development. These baby steps we take on the path towards a successful conservation ethic can actually have tremendous collective impact. We're not alone, and we need to respect the legacy we're part of.

Msh

Arachnosquire
Wow that is beyond amazing. The part about them fearing that a landslide had wiped them out before any had been collected really shows how precarious the stick bugs situation really was.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's pretty cool! I think this has been posted before but good to read again, I forgot those details. I wonder how it's going with these now.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I remember reading this article when it first came out. I am still awestruck by it. Thanks for posting, Matt. I wonder what both the captive bred and wild population status' are today.
I found this 2013 article, but it doesn't give a whole lot more info. There is a neat link to a couple who hatched some eggs for the Melbourne Zoo. :)
http://theconversation.com/australian-endangered-species-lord-howe-island-stick-insect-11789[/QUOTE

Very cool, thanks for sharing Joyce!

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They should introduce the species to a nearby area that is closest to the island habitat. If they want this to remain in the wild you cant rely on a tiny population on a tiny island anything could happen to and wipe them out, in this case you need to expand their wild habitat and find an area that grows the plants they eat to let them live. Its great they are in captivity but ultimatetly they should be in the wild. Also breed the plant they eat in captivity.

Whats even more amazing is how such a long nymph fits into a tiny egg like that!

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
I love this story more whenever I hear it. The narration was so heartfelt too, just like the people taking care of the species might feel about it.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They should introduce the species to a nearby area that is closest to the island habitat. If they want this to remain in the wild you cant rely on a tiny population on a tiny island anything could happen to and wipe them out, in this case you need to expand their wild habitat and find an area that grows the plants they eat to let them live. Its great they are in captivity but ultimatetly they should be in the wild. Also breed the plant they eat in captivity.
Did you read the entire article? Lord Howe Island still has a non-native rat population which was responsible for the insects demise after 1918.
Also, "not every Lord Howe islander wants to make the neighborhood safe for gigantic, hard-shell crawling insects. So the Melbourne Museum is mulling over a public relations campaign to make these insects more ... well, adorable, or noble, or whatever it takes."

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Did you read the entire article? Lord Howe Island still has a non-native rat population which was responsible for the insects demise after 1918.
Also, "not every Lord Howe islander wants to make the neighborhood safe for gigantic, hard-shell crawling insects. So the Melbourne Museum is mulling over a public relations campaign to make these insects more ... well, adorable, or noble, or whatever it takes."
I did.

However eliminating rats is probably harder than keeping this species alive. So I think they should find another area that is rat free to start the first wild population.

Msh

Arachnosquire
Would it even be possible to clear an island of rats after they had taken hold ? Even with unlimited resources and without further harming the ecosystem by introducing another species to take care of the rats. Makes me think of the Simpsons episode where they have a lizard problem and release a type of snake to deal with the lizards then have another animal to take care of the snakes and so on.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Would it even be possible to clear an island of rats after they had taken hold ? Even with unlimited resources and without further harming the ecosystem by introducing another species to take care of the rats. Makes me think of the Simpsons episode where they have a lizard problem and release a type of snake to deal with the lizards then have another animal to take care of the snakes and so on.
It's definitely possible, and has been done before. New Zealand's Campbell Island used to have the densest population of rats in the world, and they were completely eliminated in only a few years through a government program. Native wildlife is already being reestablished there... read about it here if you want:

http://www.doc.govt.nz/conservation...pbell-island/campbell-island-rat-eradication/

Msh

Arachnosquire
Thanks for that, another interesting read. I'm impressed by the dedication that went into that 20+ years of research and prep. 120 tons of rat poison is quite a bit. Now they just have to keep it rat free.
It's definitely possible, and has been done before. New Zealand's Campbell Island used to have the densest population of rats in the world, and they were completely eliminated in only a few years through a government program. Native wildlife is already being reestablished there... read about it here if you want:

http://www.doc.govt.nz/conservation...pbell-island/campbell-island-rat-eradication/

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone got an update on how they are doing now? What the captive population looks like? Etc?

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter

raggae40

Arachnopeon
That's a really great story! I wonder, why don't they also plant some of those bush in Ball's island so that they have more things to eat? But to think that they lived for 80 years on just a single plant is really amazing! They should be considered as the best conservationist in the whole world!