MMMmm Maggots Taste Good!

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So, having become frustrated with buying expensive baby crickets that have the audacity to die on me after I give them food, water and shelter, I went to the fishing store and bought maggots. Mmmm! Juicy, wiggly, no hard parts - my 1.5" boehmei loves them! Slurp! :}
They hardly cost anything, and they'll keep in the fridge forever. A good alternative, I figure.
Tamara

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You know, I never considered maggots... are they as "good" for the T's as crickets and roaches?

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, last summer we had a thread about them. Everyone seemed to think they'd be just fine as food. They're just fly maggots, and I suppose they're as nutritious as any other insect or insect larve. Insects are, afterall, mostly protein. Maybe other, more experienced keepers will have more to say.
Tamara

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
$1.99 (Canadian) for a baggie of at least 50. I put them in a little tupperware container in the fridge... "Honey, where's the ketchup?" "Right next to the maggots"!!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
if I could find them, I'd use them...much much cheaper than waxworms!
good source of protein as well....
I've been to bait shops etc, and just can't seem to find them. I suppose that I'll have to break down and order some online at some point!

c7me

Arachnopeon
Find them? :? Just put out a dead rodent or piece of raw meat and you will be farming Maggots in less than a week! :D

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
I did a research on this subject a little while ago. Cricket has the highest protein content, closely followed by mealworm. However, crickets gained popularity among reptile/invert keepers recently due to its highly digestable exoskeleton. And it's less fattening than mealworms too.

Maggots (fly larvae) contains less protein, but is also non-fattening like crickets to my surprise. It also has a very high Calcium/Phosphorus ratio... must be a good thing for vertebrates. (I don't know if Calcium is needed by arachnids)

However, I guess it's a little troublesome to feed maggots to bigger T's. And to keep live maggots... would be less pleasant than keeping mealworms and crickets in my opinion.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
manville said:
that is really cheap!
Thats expensive compared to how much they cost over here, i can get a pint (dont ask me how many, probably thousands) form my local fishing shop for £2. They last a long time on the fridge, although they do begin to smell a bit after a while.

Dan.

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Immortal_sin said:
if I could find them, I'd use them...much much cheaper than waxworms!
good source of protein as well....
I've been to bait shops etc, and just can't seem to find them. I suppose that I'll have to break down and order some online at some point!
Try gas stations on a main route out of the city. Sometimes they carry bait for fishermen leaving the city for the weekend. Surely you have a fishing supply store in your city - that's probably the best place to look.

I haven't tried to feed the maggots anything. In the fridge they're so inactive I didn't think they would need food. Well see.

Thanks JohnxII - good to know the nutritional side of maggots. :)