Drat!!! P. regalis bad molt....

MichaelH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My little 1" P.egalis molted on the 23rd and it's left rear leg is really funky looking now. Its smaller and thinner than the rest and literally hangs crossed over the top of it's abdomen, totally immobile. Hoping that it will straighten out on the next molt or two. It's eating and getting around well so I'm not worried about it too much, just hate to see it disfigured like tha when it's so young.

oogieboogie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just curious, what causes bad molts like that? Is it something preventable? Is it something owners do? Or just bad luck?

Not saying you did anything wrong, I just dont know the answer and am curious.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Think about the good side - the younger they are, the more time they have to regenerate.

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
oogieboogie said:
Just curious, what causes bad molts like that? Is it something preventable? Is it something owners do? Or just bad luck?

Not saying you did anything wrong, I just dont know the answer and am curious.
usually bad luck.

Lea

Arachnopeon
Is that so? Very recently my young male P. regalis had very unsuccesfull molt, loosing one pedipalp and three legs... He has difficulties in earlier molt as well, so I tried to be very carefull with his environment this time. Did not help.

He is however alive and as well as spider can be having so many limbs lost - it has been nearly a week since molt. It also has old skin on its other spinneret so that in disfunctional , too. I hope he will have few molts left before maturing so that he could regenerate his limbs: he has beautiful lady waiting and what I have heard he will need all of his legs to be succesfull father - not merely a dinner. Whatever the situation is then I will give him a try - thin chance is better than no chance at all.

This is "Little brother". he had a sibling "Big brother" who died due an unsuccesfull molt - he went laying on his back, never got up. :(

I wonder if they have something genetic wrong in them? Should I reconsider ever breeding him?

Lea

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lea said:
Lea Hakkinen form the Yahoo arachnid_world group?

Hi :)

In all honesty, I do not know a lot about genetic "malfunctions" and disorders in theraphosids. Soren has kept a lot more Poecilotheria than most, he might have some theories. I know Michael (Jacobi) keeps a lot of them too, I don't know if he has made the same sort of observations as me? (ie Poecilotheria being particularly susceptible to bad moults)