Arboreal Trapdoor spider?!?!

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, I was at the library today doing a little research and I came across this very intriguing set of photos.

the were found in this book

An arboreal trapdoor spider? Very cool indeed, however the book doesn't mention another word about it (at least my quick check hasn't turned anything up). The closest thing mentioned is Atrax formidabbilis, the arboreal funnel web spider. Anyone here from australia or very knowledgable about Aussie species? I really need to go to Australia. I really hope I can find out more about this spider. Anyways, off to lunch now {D .

Bobby

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Bobby,

yes a tree dwelling funnel-web!
common name: northern tree funnel-web

sci name:
Hadronyche formidabilis (Rainbow, 1914)....................Queensland, New South Wales
Atrax f. Rainbow, 1914a: 255, f. 63-66 (Dm).
Atrax f. Main, 1964: 40, f. G-I (m).
H. f. Gray, 1988: 114 (Tm from Atrax).

so former Atrax formidabilis

it is a large funnel-web, females reach 50mm body lenth, males 35mm
considered highly dangerous to humans, particulary small children.

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks metallica. This tree dwelling funnel web constructs a trapdoor? The photo plate says "tree dwelling of a trapdoor spider". Also there doesn't seem to be much webbing in the photo. Hadronyche formidabilis seems to be a very interesting spider. According to the book it seems to specialize in feeding on tree frogs. There is a nice picture of one right next to a partially digested frog.

Bobby

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, I found it.... The arboreal (might not be the best word for it) trapdoor spider whos burrow was pictured is Conothele arboricola. Not much info out there on it though. Here is a link to a page about it. Conothele arboricola Anyways my curiosity is far from quenched... Any Aussies out there with more info?

Bobby