Communal Avic feeding, interesting behaviour...

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have a communal avicularia avicularia setup with three pinktoe slings at around the 3/4" mark... today i threw in a live cricket the same size as them.. at first, all three where hanging out close to each other with two of them doing what seemed to be cuddling.. as soon as i dropped the cricket in thru that red screw off top you see in the pic all three lunged at it... well the two that where cuddling grabbed a hold of the cricket and kicked the other one away with fast tapping of the legs causing it to jump.. so now i thought, "hey, that's pretty cool! they're sharing food..".. boy was i wrong! they looked as if they where mating when one decides to start turning in circles spinning web.. the other did not like this and they got into a feet tapping brawl until the one who first got the cricket kicked the spinning one out.. so now only one has the cricket and the other one is going crazy moving all fast and scaring the third as if it was bullying it.. suddenly the one that got kicked out decided to go back for the cricket and got into a little feet tapping brawl with the one that has the cricket and eventually latch's on to the cricket again.. so now i figured they're actually gonna share it.. i leave to get the camera and i come back only to see one has the cricket and the other is roaming around.. all the while the third one is on the wall sitting still minding his own business... so a little later the second one comes back and latch's on again! so i take the pic and i made a bit of noise which i think starttled them causing yet another feet tapping brawl leading one to have the cricket.. the one who got the cricket first has never let go and the other keep's trying to get some... it's pretty interesting because i threw another cricket in there and the second avic keeps going after the cricket the other one has...

i find this to be pretty interesting.. keep in mind that this is the first live cricket they've eaten because before they'd refuse.. i've so far only fed them one cricket leg each like 3 weeks ago and since they've been starving.. here's a pic of the 2 that kept fighting for the same cricket..

could this be bullying like leopard gecko's do? maybe the two with the cricket are bullies and the other get's picked on all time.... :?

Last edited:

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey, are you sure you have enough airholes? You missed a spot. ;P

Seriously, I read the maggot thread and since my a. avic hasn't eaten since I got it, I gave it a maggot and it munched down on it. Maybe the crickets intimidate them?

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sansoucie said:
Hey, are you sure you have enough airholes? You missed a spot. ;P[/QOUTE]

i don't think so.. you should see the other side! :eek: i woulda made that nothing but air holes but then i wouldn't see the t's... the other side has a HUGE wall of holes.. believe, when i've posted that my avic enclosure's surface area is 80-85% air holes i wasn't lying... you should see my A. VERSICOLOR VIAL! lol.. nothing but holes.. they need lots of ventalation and that's what they get...

Seriously, I read the maggot thread and since my a. avic hasn't eaten since I got it, I gave it a maggot and it munched down on it. Maybe the crickets intimidate them?
for some reason my wouldn't take anything! not mealworms or crickets... i got them in febuary and since they haven't molted or eaten anything but one cricket leg each... they where just hatched when i got them, i belive second or third instar..

i just took this and the other pics to show you.. this one is the main bully who finally got the cricket to itself!

i figured i may aswell post pics i've been wanting to post for a bit now in this thread.. this is my new 1.25" A. mettalica, who just got his blue colors with it's last molt, in a beanie baby container... i'm proud of this setup, it's one of my nicer ones.. the t has no problem finding food because i take off the bottom with the substrate and tilt the thing to make the cricket walk to it.. in there i have fake plants, Repti-Vine, and a piece of cork where you see the avic hanging out under..

and this is my 1.25" P. regalis vial which doesn't have as many air holes as the avicularia enclosures because i don't think they need as much ventalation and won't die without it...

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I love the beanie baby container... I have to find some of those. The ones at the store close to me have some crap.. BEANIE BABIES... printed on the side with a spot to put a card or something.

I too was worried about the ventillation as mine keeps hanging out by the lid.. I havte to solder holes in this nice plexi hex tank, so I guess I better find a better enclosure!

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sansoucie said:
I love the beanie baby container... I have to find some of those. The ones at the store close to me have some crap.. BEANIE BABIES... printed on the side with a spot to put a card or something.

I too was worried about the ventillation as mine keeps hanging out by the lid.. I havte to solder holes in this nice plexi hex tank, so I guess I better find a better enclosure!
if yours isn't a sling and from the sounds of it it's not you don't need to drill holes anywhere.. it's as slings when they have the most problems.. it's normal for avics to hang out on the lids, even build tube webs up there.. keep it in the hex tank until you get a pokie or versicolor or something of the sort and then put the nicer one in the hex tank... i got the beanie baby container for 5 bucks each (canadian dollars).. i'm really happy with them and am going to buy more so i can eventually have all my arboreal slings and juvi's in them.. so far i have A. metallica, A. versicolor, A. avicularia, P. regalis, P. pederensi... i'm going to house them all in these when they reach the A. metallica's size if not a bit more.. also i'm going to house my communal setup in one of these when they decide to start growing..

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You're prolly right about waiting. I just worry about them as these are my first Ts and they are such strange creatures! I like the beanie baby thing though... I am just scared to get a sling yet. I definitely need more experience and more time learning about these guys.