Q about mold.

Ax586

Arachnopeon
I was thinking about getting a Emporer scorpion soon, so i read this sites faq on emperors. I said to use high humidity and temp. I was wondering how to prevent mold or mites from developing at high humidity and temperature.

thanks for your imput in advance.

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
The best way is to simply keep the tank clean. Check after the scorp eats, and clean out any leftovers.

Gary

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
To add upon what Gary said...also use 100% peat or near 100% peat substrate as the peat is acidic and inhibits mold growth...still need to remove meal leftovers but the peat will help.

John
];')

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
DON'T use potting soil. I'm going to have to re-do my pzb's 10 gal soon, cuz the whole substrate ( potting soil ) is growing mold and yellow mushrooms. :mad: My always moist Ephebopus enclosure ( 100% peatmoss ) has never molded once, except for food remains n stuff. So I'd have to recommend the peatmoss.

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have been keeping an emperor for longer than eight months now and he hasn't molt yet. Can anywone tell me why?

Alexander

Scorpie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it could be at its final instar which would mean it doesnt moult again.
if it is young then hang in there, it will moult sooner or later

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i had a juvenile emp at 4th instar for 8 months, it failed a moult after that and died, all because the temp was too low- i used "petpals" and there was too much ventilation and because of the sloping sides of the container- the heat didnt get through. now ive got an emp which ive had for less than 8 months and it has moulted 3 times in that time, as i keep it at around 35 C and 100% humid, evil bugger though..

yellow fungus- i had that also from peat, they were about 20 cm long hyphae or w/e and my gravid heterometrus was hiding and sick , my advice is that if you check ur tanks daily or every 2 days, ou can do whateve you want- overnight little balls of fungus grow but they are very easy to remove IME