Poecilotheria subfusca

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

after a long thinking I finally decided to buy a spiderling of this species. This was my dream for last half a year, when I saw an adult female subfusca first time :) now, this particular female has produced an eggsack {D

I´m still little bit concerned about the speed combined with defensiveness, but I have some experience with keeping Psalmopoeus irminia, so I hope this wouldnt be much worse :?

Of course I have searched all the available care sheets and asked the seller a hundred questions, but Im still interested in some first-hand experience, special tips, etc.

Thanks,

and as always, sorry for my poor English.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I pretty much treat all my Poecilotheria the same. I give them a cork bark curl to hide in. This will ensure that they feel secure and won't bolt when I open their cages. I also make sure I know where they are before I open the cage. If they are out in the open then I make slow calculated moves. They usually hunker down in corner and I can finish what I'm doing. I do all my maintanance work in the day when they are less active. If I need to move it from one enclosure to another I simply place a clear plastic bag over the containers opening and get them to go in the bag using the forceps. If they are in their hide I simply cover the hide opening with the bag and pull the whole thing out. I've never had one escape using these methods. They are pretty easy to work with and at times predictable (e.g they usually always run up).
Good Luck,
Mike

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Remember to keep it cooler than other Poecilotheria. Between 20-25°C is fine.
:cool:

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Highland species, or something like that..

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
da_illest said:
why?>>>>>???>>>
They live in higher elevations than other Poecilotheria along with P. fasciata.

Later,

Jake

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
da_illest said:
why?>>>>>???>>>
see:
  • SMITH, A. M., P. CARPENTER & J.-P. LAMOUREUX (2002): Field Notes and Observations on the Highland Theraphosid Spider Poecilotheria subfusca Pocock (Araneae: Mygalomorphae) From Sri Lanka, with Particular References to Habitat Destruction, Deforestation and Low Temperatures Encountered. British Tarantula Society Journal Vol.17(No.3): 87-94.
all the best,
Martin

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
JakeRocks said:
They live in higher elevations than other Poecilotheria along with P. fasciata.
along with P. smithi! P. fasciata is not a high land species. See also:
  • KIRK, P. J. (1996): A new species of Poecilotheria (Aranea: Theraphosidae) from Sri Lanka. British Tarantula Society Journal 12: 20-30.
  • SMITH, A. M., P. CARPENTIER & J.-P. LAMOUREUX (2001): Study Notes On An Interesting Example Of Habitat Adaptation In The Sri Lankan Theraphosid Spider Poecilotheria fasciata. British Tarantula Society Journal Vol.16(No.2): 46-59.
all the best,
Martin

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that's very interesting... i'm glad i found out, thanks.. is there any other species like this?? also, if kept at higher temps will that affect them in a bad way? i have p. regalis and p. pederseni and i keep them in the 75-85 temp range, is that alright?

brgn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
da_illest said:
that's very interesting... i'm glad i found out, thanks.. is there any other species like this?? also, if kept at higher temps will that affect them in a bad way? i have p. regalis and p. pederseni and i keep them in the 75-85 temp range, is that alright?
P. rufilata is also an highland species that needs cooler temps than the rest of the pokies. I dont have any experiance with subfusca or smithi, but I have heard rumours that they dont produce eggsacks if they are kept to warm.

75-85 should be fine for both regalis and pederseni.

Robert

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
brgn said:
P. rufilata is also an highland species that needs cooler temps than the rest of the pokies. I dont have any experiance with subfusca or smithi, but I have heard rumours that they dont produce eggsacks if they are kept to warm.

75-85 should be fine for both regalis and pederseni.

Robert
hey thanks.. so smithi and subfusca should be kept at cooler temps and the rest at warmer temps... got it.. i'm new to pokies so i'm still learning..

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
low temperature

According to the seller, his subfuscas are descendants of specimen found in lesser heights, only around 800m above sea level ("mountain form" dwells in 2000m), so they are not SO sensitive about temperature. However, he observed several times, when the temperature hits 26-27 °C, if nothing else, subfuscas are much more nervous and defensive.

don´t know how to solve this problem during summer, I have no air condition. I´ll probably put damp towels around the terrarium.

BTW I have the little baby already. hooray :D