Can you sex my P. regalis for me??

KZoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, all ... I thought I posted this already, but can't for the life of me find it!

This is Blitz - my baby!! About 1-1/2 to 20 months old now. Any thoughts on sex???

Attachments

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One of the Poecilotheria spp can be ID'd sexually by the dorsal stripe Im not sure which one. Typically you need a ventral shot to more accurately sex the T.

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry, I cant sex a tarantula like that although some people here might be able to

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd say female. Since you can handle it, have you checked for web spinning setae? These are special hairs the male uses to spin its sperm web and are usually found even on immature males. They are located in front of (anterior) the genital opening(epigastric furrow). At that size if they're not there its a female.

KZoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hmmm ...

No, David, I don't know of anything like that "under there" ... I will have to try to position Blitz so that I can check. I didn't even know of such a thing ... being really new to the techical aspects of sexing and all!! Thank you for your help, everyone - I really do HOPE blitz is a female, just wanted to reassurance!!!

BBlack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ssspidermom said:
No, David, I don't know of anything like that "under there" ... I will have to try to position Blitz so that I can check. I didn't even know of such a thing ... being really new to the techical aspects of sexing and all!! Thank you for your help, everyone - I really do HOPE blitz is a female, just wanted to reassurance!!!

Some interesting bedtime reading can be found here :)

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ssspidermom said:
Sexing by the epiandrous fusillae can be very difficult if you dont know what you are looking for....esp. if its a species with naturally dark setae. When was its last moult?? you cant go wrong sexing by the presence/lack of spermathecae!!
Id say by next moult it should be obvious by coloration what sex it is.....plus you will have the moult to check! The second pic does look more female, but at that size I wouldnt say 100 percent.