Week's T Observations

rtshaw80

Arachnopeon
I just had an interesting encounter with my spiderling Avicularia geroldi. its only about 1/2-3/4 inch (i haven't formally measured it), and last week I fed it two crickets slightly smaller than itself which it swiftly consumed. After that, it has been sitting on the bottom of its spice jar enclosure for about a week. I thought maybe it was just too plump after the feeding to climb back up the wall of the enclosure. I went to try to move it with a paintbrush tip but it wouldn't budge. I did it again and he tried to make an escape up the side of the wall but he was stuck to some substrate mixed in with it's own webbing. I carried the bit of substrate up the side with it as the spider climbed onto my thumb. Once on my thumb, he used his fangs as leverage by pulling on my skin with them, and seperated his stuck limb from it's body. It also shed one of it's pedipalps at the same time, also stuck in the webbing.
Poor guy's probably hurting, though he just continued to walk around my hand for a while until I put it back in its vile. At least it's fangs didn't break the skin on my thumb.

All 6 of my A versicolor spiderling molted this week in unison, and the last individual of my B. Boehmi slings did the same this week. My sling A. geniculatas all molted last week and have returned back to their voracious apetite for the crix.

I fed an adult mouse to my T. Blondi, that was interesting to watch. It was quick for the mouse, the Blondi caught it with one lunge right behind the ear and had an air tight grip on it. There wasn't much left in about 6 hours.

I finally saw my Psalmo. irminia today when I dropped some crix in its enclosure. Its about 1 1/2 - 2" in span, but has made a burrow/web at the base of the cork bark and enclosure that it stays in all the time. My 1 1/2" P. cambridgei has created a network of underground tunnels to hide in. So when do these guy's turn to the trees and become arboreal? I have nice tall containers with a big slab of corkbark in them...

Thats about it for this time.

Ryan
O