josh_r Peruvian picture thread: true spiders.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I decided it would be easier just to start a picture thread instead of making a new post for everything I find. Will start out slow, but I will regularly update it when I find new things.

Here is a scytodes that lives in the area. They are big.... real big (for scytodes). This one isn't even as big as they get and it is still big.

A couple more pics of Sicarius peruensis

This thread will be a slow start, but I will add to it when I can.

Josh

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OOh.. I need to update the pictures above... can a mod do this for me? I will PM you a repost with new image links.

Anyway, Here are some more true spider finds from a recent trip. I do not know the species of any of these so if you guys know, speak up hey!

they all came from Pozuzo Peru.

Phoneutria or Cupienneus possibly? I know it is a Ctenid.

This thing is a monster! At least 4 inches in legspan if not more. No clue what it is aside from being a Ctenid.

And another Ctenid of sorts. this place was crawling with so many different species of Ctenids. This one is particularly nice. The ventral side is black with red carapace and snow white spots covering the entire ventral surface.

Spikey butts

An ant mimic jumping spider

And that is it for now. I'll try to get some better shots of these Ctenids soon. They are very colorful.

Josh

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A few more pictures of some peruvian trues.

Not every day you have one of these crawling across your floor.

Dunno what this ctenid is.

Josh

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Why is a Snark a Snark? Because it is very very cynical sometimes. Didn't spot the web in time yesterday and got a spiny orb in my hair. Little dingbat tried to hitch the jeep to a papaya tree.
Not every day you see one of these crawling across the floor. Very true. In fact never at this time of year. Come March and April we are herding them out the door by the dozens 2 or 3 times a week.

Very nice pics.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
whahoooo!! beautiful spiders,very impressed on the different sp.man.......alot to choose from:) yummy, wow peru is an awesome place,thanks for sharing.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Snark, you find Phoneutria in Thailand???? You are the best spider hunter I have ever met!!!!! ;) hahaha!!!

Darned spiny butt spiders tryin to steal your jeep... Here, they try to steal your soul! Hence the black one.. He got someone.... Just kiddin.. It's just the melanistic form.

The Snark

Old Timer
I adore the spiny butts! For some reason if I see one cranking out a web I get transfixed. Something about the combination of an orb web and how remarkable the spider looks.
I'll have phoneutria here as soon as you send some over. Come spring I could try to send you back a few hundred horny male sparassids.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I adore the spiny butts! For some reason if I see one cranking out a web I get transfixed. Something about the combination of an orb web and how remarkable the spider looks.
I'll have phoneutria here as soon as you send some over. Come spring I could try to send you back a few hundred horny male sparassids.
hahaha! I don't know what I would do with 100 or more male sparassids. Hmmm... I'm sure we could work something out though. Phoneutria are on our list to export, so if you really want to keep Phoneutria, consider it done.

The Snark

Old Timer
Naw. I only observe, never keep. But come the hot season here we usually have what I call the spring tide. The males, huntsman and sparassids, often come out by the dozens, especially in the early evening. It can get to be comical, in ones and twos squeezing under this one place under a door then roaming all over the house looking for food and the ladies. We have to lock the cat in the closet or out on the porch roof. There is very little on this planet cuter or funnier than these 1 1/2 inch zoomers playing bumper car all over the floor.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Naw. I only observe, never keep. But come the hot season here we usually have what I call the spring tide. The males, huntsman and sparassids, often come out by the dozens, especially in the early evening. It can get to be comical, in ones and twos squeezing under this one place under a door then roaming all over the house looking for food and the ladies. We have to lock the cat in the closet or out on the porch roof. There is very little on this planet cuter or funnier than these 1 1/2 inch zoomers playing bumper car all over the floor.
Sounds like a good reason to get out the video camera!