Odd Setup for Damon sp.?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I went to a local expo today and picked up an awesome tailless whip scorpion. However, the setup for its enclosure is really odd. The vendor had a piece of cork bark sitting in a plastic jar with water at the bottom and only one hole for air. No substrate was used. He said that he has kept them for 5 years like this, but I'm still not sure. I've read all the care sheets for Damon sp. before and never heard anything like this. Should I do a rehouse, or should I just leave it as is? It seems to be doing well enough, but it just doesn't seem correct.

image.jpg

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's weird....never heard of it...water as 'substrate'....I just use cocopeat

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This was the first time I had heard of it as well. I switched the water out for coco fiber and drilled a few extra holes, so I feel a bit better about that setup.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I wonder how long this setup could work for, at the least I'd expect the crickets to drown themselves when feeding.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I had thought the same thing. It just doesn't seem like it would work indefinitely, but he said he had success. I didn't want to risk anything so I switched out the water for cocofiber and a water dish, along with misting every day or two.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Id imagine that this setup would work as long as the arachnid lived. Being it really wouldnt need to get on the "ground". As long as it catches its food before the food drowns, then it shouldnt have any problems. Ive raised H. maculata and P. murinus from sling to adult with no substrate what so ever.

KingBaboon85

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
One of the sales representative of Exo Terra told me he used to breed them in Wet conditions not humid but Wet and had good success with them keeping them like that... I have a pair and recently I've been wetting them like crazy ( but remember I have lots of ventilation) and I discovered the female with three young on her..

Cheers Angelo

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I guess what bugged me the most was what seemed like a lack of ventilation. There was just one small hole and that was it. I could see those T's working out pretty well since they both web heavily, correct?

If wet helps when it comes to breeding, I'll have to keep it in mind since I definitely want to breed this one (once I figure out the sex and if it's a diadema or variegatus). Glad there are some awesome links for that on AB!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yes they web very heavily, so they have no problems. The lack of ventilation for that D. diadema is the only problem there.
I could see those T's working out pretty well since they both web heavily, correct?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My old H. mac was a very heavy webber. Traded it for a scorpion though, so I don't get to see the little monster webbing anymore. Haven't had the honor (?) of owning a P. murinus yet though. Not sure I want to own one in the future. It's a beautiful spider, but how angry it always seems to be is pretty nuts. Me saying I'm not sure most likely means I'll own one someday though :)