backyard albino possum

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can't remember if I posted these before or not, found it in my yard, it was kind of freaky. Others around the house here are very light colored.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
(With all due respect to the OP) Nope. Albino doesn't help either. It's ugly right down to the bone for them. Flea bearing/bitten little fratricidal back yard raiders.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That is very awesome! And Opossums are some very amazing creatures. I could tell you just how strong they are, but not here, pm me if interested.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah Snark, I agree, dirty smelly animals, usually anyway. I thought of catching this one, it would have been easy but it was really old, you can kind of tell in the pic. I thought a small zoo would want it or something like that.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is SO awesome it looks like some legendary beast for some reason. Amazing! If I had that around I'd feed it albinos frequently have health issues so if extra food made life easier I'd feed it.

If you join this site please add your opossum on here many, many people will be interested in seeing this its Very rare! Someone submitted a pure white raccoon. http://www.projectnoah.org/

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes that's a very cool find! Awesome and rare,i see plenty of them here in fla. But i have yet to see an albino,nice pic of it.

lancej

Arachnolord
That is awesome! Possums are awesome creatures anyway. I have friends that have had possums as pets, and they were sweet and had no smell (well, the females don't, males are musky).

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
opossums are awesome looking when they're well fed and not dying of MBD.

I had a couple of them as pets, they make VERY good pets, except for their habit of trying to sleep in trashcans... I seriously hated that so much, i'd make his bed for him, snuggle up, and wake up with him curled up in the wastebin..

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
It is amazing to see that an albino mammal survived to adulthood in wild. Awesome find!

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is amazing to see that an albino mammal survived to adulthood in wild. Awesome find!
They scavenge so long as people and shelter are around they get by. But their poor eyesight can be trouble if they encounter predators or the roads. This one is looking thin poor thing its not its fault it was born different.

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 12:24 PM ----------

I can't remember if I posted these before or not, found it in my yard, it was kind of freaky. Others around the house here are very light colored.
What town in Texas is this? You said others are light, could be something with the populations genes or mabye inbreeding could have something important going on here.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are def carrying the gene around here, at least imo. There are some very light colored ones I've seen, my neighbor says he saw one years ago, he's been in the hood around 25 years. I don't want to give out the exact location lol, it's in the Austin Tx area though. I've kind of wanted a possum but I didn't think they would make good pets since they don't show much social behavior in nature.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Is it possible that he is an escaped pet? He looks a bit rough. But I don't think I have seen albinos in the pet trade yet...

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you live in a fire swamp? Reminds me of a white "rodent of unusual size."

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha, liked that movie. I don't think it's an escaped pet, don't think the are legal to keep here, can't sell them as far as I know, I haven't looked into that.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You live in Texas, right?
Texas

Category: L

Summary of Law: No person may possess a dangerous wild animal without first obtaining a license (certificate of registration). Dangerous wild animals are defined as lions, tigers, ocelots, cougars, leopards, cheetahs, jaguars, bobcats, lynxes, servals, caracals, hyenas, bears, coyotes, jackals, baboons, chimpanzees, orangutans, gorillas, or any hybrids of the animals listed. However, there are no requirements for a person possessing all other animal not listed above, such as monkeys, wolves etc.

I found some people in Texas who do have/had Virginia opossums on google, but nothing in particular banning them or OKing them as pets. I know some states it's legal, some you need a permit, and some it's completely illegal. Texas seems more laid back though.