What is a Death Curl?

readingbabelfis

Arachnopeon
I bought a WC H. Lividum about 4 months ago. About one month ago, its burrow collapsed. Ever since that time, it has been sitting in the corner, it won't eat or drink. I have noticed it looks like its starting to curl up. The tips of its back legs are kind of curled forward and if I try to move it, it will not walk correctly. What to do? Thanks

coco

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
premolt. maybe its time for a molt and then they dont like to be touched or pulled around

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Or maybe it was injured when it's burrowed collapsed. I don't mean to be pessimistic. Can you post a picture of it? Maybe some of the more seasoned keepers can tell you more about the body language of Ts.
Tamara

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Usually the term "death curl" refers to the posture dying Ts assume where the legs begin to curl UNDER the body into the classic "dead bug" pose. Is that's what's happening?

Wade

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It would be a shame to lose it. Can you handle it and look for any injuries? That might give you a clue as to what, if anything, you could do to help it.
Tamara

Gretchen W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
readingbabelfis said:
About one month ago, its burrow collapsed.
I'v always wondered about collapsing burrows. My seemani is starting to dig in a different direction now and I sometimes think about it just all caving in on him. Does this happen often to others? I'v never read anything about it.

Wishing you luck with yours Readingbabelfis :) ....
~~~Gretchen

CostaRican

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have never actually seen this so I am of no help. But I hope your T pulls through :(

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gretchen W. said:
I'v always wondered about collapsing burrows. Does this happen often to others?
It happens from time to time, but is generally nothing to worry about.
As long as the burrow/substrate is no deeper than 6-9", the tarantula will dig itself out. After a burrow collapse, the smartest thing is to wait for a few hours. If the tarantula doesn't appear after a day or so, I would start digging.

It is also an idea to moisten the substrate a bit. This makes the burrow sustainable.