Jumping thread

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive seen stuff about people and their Ts jumping around ansd stuff. So can us hare ur stories on how far they jumped and how big they were??

iim am also wondering how far do u suppose a avic braushauni could jump? i was thinking maybe 3 feet?

mike

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
my A versicolor slings routinely jump from my hand to the rug. Since I'm sitting while handling, I'd guess the drop is probably nore more than 6-8". It's interesting how they do it also. They do not spread their legs out and float. It's more like a jump and a curled up roll. They land all rolled up in a ball, stay like that for a few seconds, then take off...it's really funny! They can also leap from hand to hand, and I've had them do it from a distance of at least 8-10" or so. I'm convinced their eyesight isn't too bad either.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My versicolor sling has jumped from my hand to the table one time and I havent held it since. It probably jumped about 8" or so and I didn't look closely enough to see if it "floated" or "curled" during the jump, I was too freaked out by the spider jumping in the first place. Maybe I will try to hold it again sometime in the future but I am in no hurry as it has moulted a time or two and is even larger now.

None of my other spiders have jumped on purpose.

Longbord1......question from the previous thread that probably inspired this thread....how big is your jumping avic and how far and how often does it jump?

Last edited:

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well my avic almost parachutes down with its legs spread wide it so cool!! i am also able to make mine jump when i want it too

mike

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i blew on my avic avic on accident and there it flew...i thought it was pretty cool actually.

spyderguy1983

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a 1/2" avicualria versicolor sling that jumped from its tupperware container to my shirt when I was feeding it. It was approximately 3 or 4 inches. I was surprised to say the least.

Angelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
woah i gotta get me an avic. those jumps sound so cool! :D

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Interesting.....

the only arboreal I've ever had that does some hardcore jumpin' is my Versicolor. I guess they are jumpy, huh :p

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Longbord1 said:
well my avic almost parachutes down with its legs spread wide it so cool!! i am also able to make mine jump when i want it too

mike
Do please share! I'd love to make my arborials jump on command.

I've had an versi sling that jumped from hand to hand many times during one handling session, but it was an isolated "predictable" incident. Prolly just a few inches.

P. cambridgei has jumped about 2' onto its enclosure during a handling session - that was the coolest thing i've ever seen :D

Other than that, I have an A. aurantiaca adult that jumps without paying attention to where, and had an A. avic that was also unpredictable with it's jumping. I've never really seen my pokie jump, nor any of my other Psalmos jump with any consistency.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Seeing a 7" Haplopelma schmidti jump is certainly an interesting experience....

CostaRican

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All of my Avics jump, though not on command. They also use the parachute method. Always landing right side up :? Pretty scary sometimes :)

T 'n T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My GBB, Elwood, has been jumping lately. Here’s the lowdown: I fed El the other day and ten minutes later saw the cricket in his mouth. I keep the cricket keeper next to the T keepers, and later that evening noticed the crickets were becoming obstreperous. I heard a particularly loud thunk and was amazed to see El scrabbling at the sides of his keeper, trying to get at the crix. Bad keeper, I scolded myself, putting dinner just out of reach of your T. Elwood has always been an enthusiastic eater, sometimes hurling himself against the sides of his cage to grab the cricket, although he’s never scrabbled before. I moved the cricket keeper to keep temptation away from El and he calmed down. Still the occasional scrabbling though, who says Ts have no memories. Too bad if you’re still hungry, no more crix tonight buddy, you’re plump enough already. A couple of days later I stopped by the store to get pinheads for my parahybana sling Godzilla, but they didn’t have pinheads. I remembered some people feed cricket legs to their slings, and I still felt guilty for depriving El the other night, took a regular cricket and voila… one leg for Godz, the rest for El. Only problem was I couldn’t bring myself to rip off a leg, so I said the hell with it and gave it all to Elwood. The cricket scurried into El’s burrow and the T didn’t follow, he always attacks his crix right away, could my GBB be in pre-molt? Nope, a few seconds later he went into the burrow after the cricket, problem solved. Now for Godzilla. I took the smallest cricket and isolated it in a corner of the plastic bag, steeled myself and beheaded it with my fingernail as quickly as I could. Took off the head… eww, a long piece of stringy goo came along with it! Probably loaded with nutrients though, so don’t remove the head, readers. Anyway, what was left went in with Godz and I sat back to watch, the headless body was bigger than my sling, would he eat it? He took it after a while, even moving the body for easier munching, good. Suddenly I heard another loud thump, what the hell? Elwood again, but wait, there’s movement in the cage. And El’s threat-positioning, he never threat positions! Poor little guy must be in pre-molt after all, gotta get the cricket out of there fast. Surprisingly I managed to get the cricket out without losing it, thankfully it got caught in the silk and hung from the keeper as I closed it. Thankfully El just sat there patiently watching, my voice must have calmed him down, how do people with mean Ts manage? Okay, back in the keeper with the cricket, one last check on El… holy crap, there’s another one scrunched by the waterdish! My poor GBB never ate either cricket, he just grabbed it and let it go. All along he’s been jumping because the crix were stressing him out. I nearly left 2 crickets in with my pre-molt T, so learn from my idiotic mistakes and pay attention to body language and unusual behavior, don’t be a bad keeper like me. :(

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My E. murinus and E. cyanognathus both jump pretty well, especially considering they're fossorial. None of my avics jump, nor do my pokies (although they may as well be flying, cos when they run, they can move!).

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the command is not a verbal command its basically me uging it to jump except it always works. i have a video of it jumping over and over again. wut i do is either put him on the edge of mu hand or something and then when i touch his back toes he imediatley jumps. u have to touch them so its like he has no more room to jump and it works everytime for me.
ill try to post a movie one day

mike

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have seen my avic avic jump too. The only way to make it jump is when there is no other way to go. I stucked one hand on the other side for it to jump and it did. Pretty neat.

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My P. murinus, OBT jumped more then 8 ft to the floor from its tank at the pet store when they were trying to get it into the critter keeper brought. It was like it just flew in an arc, hit the floor safely, and went running. It was pretty funny. The tarantula didn't even hurt itself. I would think she would do it again if scared enough.

Sharon