Craigslist makes me mad!

Tman86

Arachnosquire
So I got on CL to see if anyone locally is selling Ts. The first ad I read had a PZB with a cage and heat lamp. The 2nd ad I read has an OBT (with someone elses copyright pic I assume) saying its worth over $100 online so make offer. People like that really grind my gears, almost as bad as the people at my loical Petco. Is there any way to have ads removed from CL other than hitting the spam button that seems to do nothing. Heres a link to the $100+ OBT lol: http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/for/4000251636.html

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
Why mad? I think it's great that you usually find people on there that have no clue what they are talking about. That's how you get good deals. If I find someone on CL that thinks they are going to get a grip out of a tarantula and it's one that I want I tell them why they won't and provide links. Then I throw them a low offer and half the time that works cause they just want to get rid of them. I think that ad that you are referring to is he is looking for an offer for both T's. Depending on the size of the T's you might make him an offer.

kalebo1

Arachnosquire
I saw a CL listing the other day where someone is selling a Rose Hair for $100. All I could do was laugh.

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
I just got cursed out through email by some guy for saying a hisser makes a good kids pets in a CL ad I posted for some nymphs I've got.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got cursed out through email by some guy for saying a hisser makes a good kids pets in a CL ad I posted for some nymphs I've got.

That sounds kind of funny, what did he say? "These roaches will kill the children by sucking out their blood and feasting on their flesh"?

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
It was quite funny, I got a good laugh over the fact that he felt so strongly that I was a messed up person he felt the need to tell me so. Our pleasant little chat went like this

"that's what I want for my kid a ***** pet roach are you people sick" this was the initial email I received

I kept it polite and professional, and explained all the reasons why I felt that a hisser made the perfect pet for a kid with an interest in insects.

Which was responded to with;
"kids want a dog cat even a hamter they don't want no roaches idiot"

then sent him;
"I never claimed every kid did, but more of them are fascinated by these than you think. What about the kids who are allergic to furry pets? Or those who's parents can't afford those pets or the vet bills that come with them? These roaches are commonly used as class room pets and on displays in children's museums. But your right getting your child a dog which is capable of mauling said child or a cat who will most likely scratch the hell outta the child more than once are much more sensable choices than a little hissing cockroach"

The end about the dogs and cats is a little smart assy but it got my point across, he had no response to that one.

hearsemadam

Arachnosquire
Ive always had good luck with finding/selling/giving things away on craigslist. I basically rescued one of my Ts from a college student whos room mate left it behind and he didnt know how to care for it, and scored other Ts and met some cool people in the hobby as well (including Tman88 scored a nice diversipes from him)

This past weekend I scored a sweet cabinet to keep my enclosures in because we are running out of space. Craigslist always delivers.

If there is something there thats upsetting you, skip it and move along. You dont have a duty to put someone in their place and the seller doesnt have a duty to make you happy.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It was quite funny, I got a good laugh over the fact that he felt so strongly that I was a messed up person he felt the need to tell me so. Our pleasant little chat went like this

"that's what I want for my kid a ***** pet roach are you people sick" this was the initial email I received

I kept it polite and professional, and explained all the reasons why I felt that a hisser made the perfect pet for a kid with an interest in insects.

Which was responded to with;
"kids want a dog cat even a hamter they don't want no roaches idiot"

then sent him;
"I never claimed every kid did, but more of them are fascinated by these than you think. What about the kids who are allergic to furry pets? Or those who's parents can't afford those pets or the vet bills that come with them? These roaches are commonly used as class room pets and on displays in children's museums. But your right getting your child a dog which is capable of mauling said child or a cat who will most likely scratch the hell outta the child more than once are much more sensable choices than a little hissing cockroach"

The end about the dogs and cats is a little smart assy but it got my point across, he had no response to that one.

Awesome. Gotta love ignorant idiots making fools of themselves.

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
I bought a 6.5" L. Violaceopes from someone last week for $75 and he just texted me today asking if I would pay the sipping and he would send me a free P. Regalis at 6". I would say CL rocks.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought a 6.5" L. Violaceopes from someone last week for $75 and he just texted me today asking if I would pay the sipping and he would send me a free P. Regalis at 6". I would say CL rocks.
I would consider that an exception, not a rule.

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
For sure it is, just saying that you can get some really good deals and other times you might have to haggle a little bit. Most of the time you can get a good idea if the person is willing to deal with you at all. If you find someone that doesn't know that much about T's they may just be trying to get as much as they can for something that they have no clue about. That's why I just try to educate them on what they're asking for if they are asking too much. Then I make an offer. You never know what they might say.

cmcghee358

Arachnoknight
I saw a CL add yesterday.

Was something along the lines of:

0.0.3 A. avic slings
1.1.1 G. rosea
0.0.1 OBT
0.0.1 P. irminia

I think it had 3-4 more, maybe an LP and Chaco.

All enclosures included.

Total price? $50.

I texted ASAP, was already sold. CRAP

bugarella

Arachnosquire
Where I live I have picked up (so far this year) an:

AF P. Irminia- $50
8" female LP- $25
4" unsexed P. Muticus- $20
4" female B. Boehmei- $15
3" unsexed B. Smithi $35

So far I have gotten some good deals. Although there's a few ridiculous posts, like the woman trying to sell a G. rosea with a kritter keeper for $100 and the "not your typical pet store tarantula" G. Pulchra with a 5 gallon tank for $250 "because you can only purchase this species from select online breeders" :sarcasm:

At that point, all you can do is explain to them why the price is ridiculous and send them links to online stores and private sellers and make them a reasonable offer. Sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't.

Imortalis

Arachnopeon
I skim through CL all of the time for people selling Ts. Yeah, you get the ones who overprice everything (like a 4" GBB for $200) or the OBT you were talking about, but then you also get great prices from people who don't know what they have. I found someone who had 6" T. Blondi for sale for 30 dollars. Of course they had already been sold by the time I found the post, but you never know!

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have someone by me who post ads using the common names all the time so I reply with the scientific names and they always say sorry I'm out of those hahaha....and I could reply mins after the posting......they are way over priced I just like messing with them hahaha

I also seen a free OBT spider that likes to be held hahahha......ya that one was already gone

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
In a free market, as long as both parties are happy with the price, the price is fair.

It doesnt matter if you can get a better deal somewhere else. Either do your homework, or cry like a female dog.

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
I NEVER find T's on CL, and I check daily! A couple months ago there was a Rosie for $80, which I tried to make an offer on. Lady said her hubby bought the thing on CL as a surprise for her at that price, and they were trying to get their money back out of it... That is the only one I have seen. Really wish there were more listings, as I'm fairly adept at talking people down from their asking prices. :p